Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Joe,

This is only my opinion based on an experience we had. Two 13,000 BTU Cruise Airs will not keep bus temperatures below 85 when the OAT is 96 to 98 degrees. When the interior temps were in excess of 85, even though the OAT had dropped to 94, after 3 hours of running all four Cruise airs (total of 52,000 BTU) we had just gotten interior temps down to 78-79.

If the bus interior temps are maintained at a comfortable temp (for us it is around 72) then three might be able to do the job, but as we found out if they are warm to start with four units are barely adequate. There was just too much mass of heated interior to cool down.

I recognize that what is an acceptable and comfortable temperature for some does not work for us. Also, our 40 footer had three and apparently the shorter length only required three, but our 45 in our opinion definitely calls for 4.
    After only about 20 nights in my 3 cruiseair bus, I have learned that staying ahead of it is key. We have been camping in some really hot temps already and having the awnings out and getting the A/C's ginning before it gets too warm inside keeps things nicely cool.

When we were in Kerrville, they had a power failure while we were in town for a couple of hours mid afternoon. The bus switched to inverter power and went down to 2 cruiseairs. This was in 103 deg heat and the 2 not surprisingly did not keep up. When we returned, started the genset and went back to 3 cruiseairs it took a couple of hours to bring the interior temps down from low 80's to low 70's. 3 are enough when that hot, but you have to stay up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GDeen View Post
    When we were in Kerrville, they had a power failure while we were in town for a couple of hours mid afternoon. The bus switched to inverter power and went down to 2 cruiseairs.

Gordon, the power failure you mentioned is why I always have my genset on AUTO/Start, so if we are away from the bus and the power goes out, the generator will start up in an emergency and keep things functioning.

If anybody out there thinks this is NOT the right way to handle this, ( Auto Start Gen ) please advise, so I can correct my way? !

Just remember to turn off the Auto/Start Gen Function, when you put it away in the barn.

Gary S.

Default More on A/C

So, this past week, I had the opportunity to experience some real heat, since my ill-fated trip from SLC in my CC, which ended up with no functional A/C's in 120+ conditions.

I drove from SoCal to Mesa AZ to visit my brother this past weekend. He has had surgery, and although I would normally not go to AZ in the summer months, this was probably an important time to go.

Driving to/from Mesa I set the OTR at 75 degrees, and it performed flawlessly. We arrive in Mesa nice and cool. Temps indicated on the dash around 105 for most of the drive. Opening the door in Mesa revealed a blast furnace.

My new Marathon has roof airs, so this was the first time I tried to use roof airs, in a really hot climate. I don't know if roof airs are really designed to work 24/7, but they needed to during this visit. Temps on the SMX panels indicated as high as 118 (I assume that was a sensor in the roof air itself).

I have 4 A/C units, but generally kept 3 running (didn't run the bathroom air). It did seem to be able to keep the coach comfortable, however I will admit that roof airs right above you when you're trying to sleep isn't the best. I can't compare to cruise-air noise, but I assume it's a bit worse.

Anyway, we survived, and spent a week then at ORA Rancho CA. Days were high 90's, but nights were cool. Roof airs worked great, and was able to open up for sleeping evenings.

Anyone know whether or not it's OK to run roof airs 24/7? In Mesa, the lowest temps during the middle of the night were around 95. Day times were realistically around 110. Not my favorite end of the thermometer.

Ray

I see no reason why it would not be OK to run AC units 24/7.

Once a mechanical device is running and all the operating temperatures stabilize, as long as they do not exceed whatever limits the components have for temperatures it seems they can run without harm. The motor on the compressors are in the hermetically sealed system, running in oil, so continuous running does it no harm, and I assume the fans have permanently lubricated bearings so I can't see any harm there.

Sounds good. I won't worry about it next time, although 110+ is not something I'll be searching out any time soon!