Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6D vs 8D and also how many of either.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Default 4D vs 8D and also how many of either.

I would like to spur some conversation on hands on experience and performance and preference.

It should all be a matter of necessity based on components but some campers out there are incorrectly outfitted.

So what have you got?

8D and how many or 4D and how many and how many a/c if any are running off of them. Have you been able to compare the set-up with previous buses or performance of others buses?
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-28-2009 at 08:56 AM.

We have six 8D's and a place for 2 more if I needed them. Don't run any AC's off the batteries.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

O/K Dale great we know yours are recent. How long can you go till they get half discharged?

dreamchasers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cannarozzi View Post
    I would like to spur some conversation on hands on experience and performance and preference.

It should all be a matter of necessity based on components but some campers out there are incorrectly outfitted.

So what have you got?

8D and how many or 4D and how many and how many a/c if any are running off of them. Have you been able to compare the set-up with previous buses or performance of others buses?
    Joe,

I can only comment on what type and how many I have. I have 8 8D batteries and the batteries are wet cell, VLRA type (not AGM or gel, wet cells with recumbent valve tops). My batteries are not in good condition and do need replacement.

I am holding out to do the change out this winter.

With my old batteries my coach will stay above 12 volts for 12 - 14 hours.

I do not have the capability of running ACs from batteries.

An interesting post.

Hector
    Last edited by dreamchasers; 06-28-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Hector that is very good performance from an aging set of batteries.

The compromise is weight and space and replacement costs.

Hector how much space does 8 8-Ds take up a whole bay?

No matter, I am coming to the conclusion overkill in this department is desirable.

Jack mentioned that he knew of a comparison between 8 4d-s and 6-8d,s I think.

he needs to reiterate. The man has successfully altered his Liberty watchdog system to auto start correctly. Great work Jack.

Those buyers concerned with "orphan coaches" As long as there is POG and the camper is on a prevost chassis there are no orphans, I digress.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-28-2009 at 11:22 AM.

jelmore Guest

We have 3 8D AGM batteries, two years old. When dry camping, we let Liberty's Watchdog start up the generator. I think that set point is 11.2 volts, seems I read that here someplace. Haven't checked that to confirm.

From what I presume is a full charge (no significant charger activity), we get 8 to 12 hours depending on what we're doing. The low end is with the big refrigerator on all the time, computers, hard drives, case fans all on, satellite dish on, basement refrigerator on, make coffee, watch some tv. It's the microwave at the end of the cycle that will usually cause the generator to start. The high end is easily achieved by turning off all the small things and turning off the refrigerator for 3 or 4 hours, a couple of hours at a time.

Liberty doesn't run any air conditioners from the batteries and I don't think there's room for any more.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Joe, I have eight 8D's and two 3,600 watt Vanner inverters. I can run two A/Cs (front and rear) from inverters. The entire coach will run on inverters..microwave ,fridge, 2 tv's and all lighting from inverters (of course can't run the range). I have used inverters to overnight many times, but if I need A/C I use the generator. I honestly cannot tell you how much drain there is on the batteries, but the generator has never started on auto start.
    I agree that it is over kill, and frankly, don't think, other than the fridge, tv's and limited lighting are all you need on inverter. RUN THE GENERATOR!
    My previous bus, a 1985 American, had a 1500 watt invertor, and four 8D's (lead acid) handled the tv's and some lighting worked just fine. The fridge though was a 12v/110v unit which worked great except for the small size.
    I will seriously consider reducing the number of batteries the next time I have to replace them, and use the generator more. The batteries and the inverters take the entire third bay on the curb side.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

I have 4 8D's. I am a generator user. Even if I pull into a rest area for a sandwich I run the generator to be able to run the AC units. Ditto if we overnight in a rest area. The generator goes on immediately. I do shut it off when we go to bed unless we need to run the AC's. When we get up in the AM the voltage is usually around 24.5 to 25.0. But the only loads are usually the refrigerator and the TV plus the usual key off house loads such as alarms, tank level sensors, dash radio memory, clocks, etc.

As soon as we get up the generator goes back on unless I intend to drive immediately.

I have no idea how my autostart works since the first time I saw my voltage on the house batteries sink below 23.8 volts and the generator had not yet started I decided from that point on to always manual start my generator.

Question

Jim, how are you able to only have three batteries?
    Do you not have 24v?

JIM

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

He has a 12 volt house.

Jon went to some length to both inform everyone of the importance of being able to bypass the inverters and then upgraded his system.

Here is some smart design

Here is the inverter and the leads going to and from it both a/c and d/c in and out on our bus.
    electrical photos 005.jpg

The connectors he used for the a/c input and output are twist-locked and they are flip floped
    electrical photos 006.jpg

I can unplug the inverter and plug the bus leads into each other completing the circuit for the whole inverter sub panel. It is a good simple solution.

electrical photos 009.jpg

I have a 2500w Heart inverter and today I moved the power lead for the front cruseair over to the inverter sub panel. With the bus running on high idle and the alt charging the house it started up the unit and worked fine.

I had 25 house volts and it was pulling 13 amps I kicked on our U-Line ice maker that is the only other constant draw (we have propane) and the draw went up to 15 amp voltage holding strong at 25.

So it is no different than any other appliance or accessory on the inverter. I have to manage my draw or I will blow the 20 amp breaker on the inverter.

If I decide I will hook it up permanent I will need to put a switch on the a/c so I can switch it back to the main panel when camping or it would be a PITA power managing.

Kinda cool runnin my front cruise with a bus with only 1 2500w inverter.

When we first bought the OTR did not work and we had experienced the dreaded compressor shut down rolling north on I-65 on a 90s day........Water Misters, that's the ticket. again I digress.

Thumbs up on the inverter instalation Mr. Hickox
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-28-2009 at 03:07 PM.