Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire pressure gauge

jelmore Guest

Default Tire pressure gauge

I'm on my third tire pressure gauge and this one is now no good. I think when they start to fail, and it well could be operator error, the readings are inconsistent. Could be 60 lbs, could be 90 lbs, could be 75 lbs, from the same tire, consecutive readings. I can't stand it.

I guess price isn't really a consideration, it just has to be accurate.

Do you have one that works well?

I'm with ya. I have three in my tool box and they are all inaccurate. Inconsistent in readings. They range from 5, 10 to 20 psig out. The last one I bought was the $21.00 yellow handle trucker tuff and it's the same as the $10.00 cheapo.

I have a $14 combination gauge and tire chuck with the straight foot so I can reach into the inner dual valve stem. The gauge was bought at Walmart,

I have two others I check it against, one a no name brand conventional tire gauge and the other a Milton combination gauge and tire chuck. They are all within 5 PSI. The Walmart reads the lowest and it is easiest to use so I use that one regularly. I have always added 5 PSI to the recommended pressures so I could be as high as 10 PSI over inflated, but I assume a little over inflation is far better than low. I have no clue if any of the three are accurate beyond the fact they are all relatively close.

Default My new gauge

I can appreciate the frustration of this post. I recently went through the same examination and purchased a new gauge from Matco Tools. So far, I am happy with this one, but it is new. It may have the same inconsistencies as it ages, but for now, I am content.

Good luck. I would be interested in seeing any other comments as to thoughts of gauges that are deemed worthy of owning.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Here is a photo of all three of my gauges. The top one is a Milton, a sturdy one that I use as a backup to my Walmart one below it. The cheap Walmart gauge is always within a few pounds of the Milton and the conventional gauge below it.

All have straight foot tire chucks. I do not use extensions on my valve stems, but do use fill through the cap valve caps that alllow me to check and fill without removing the cap. The caps double seal.

http://www.alltiresupply.com/p-43-098.html

The link is for a bag of 50.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

It is important and I want to note out the STRAIGHT end on all of all the misc. chucks shown above.

If you have one that is on a 40 degree angle. throw it out it WILL NOT WORK and IS THE INCORRECT TOOL.

Especially when trying to air through and in the smaller holes on the 9 inch rims.

Question

I also have a question that somewhat fits this thread.

I have a pressure gauge that reads to 200 psi.

The specification certificate that came with the gauge reads:

ACCURACY: Combined non-linearity, hysteresis and repeatability +/- 0.15% Full Scale for all ranges. Figure includes setting accuracy at 25 deg. C.

My question is what is the accuracy in pounds per square inch +/- of that which is indicated on the gauge.

If it is an acceptable value I will bring the gauge to OKC and anyone wishing to check their gauge may do so.

JIM

Wouldn't it be +/- .15% of full scale or 200 X.0015=+/-.3?

.3 PSI seems like a very tight range, but your figure was .15% or .0015. My guess is there is a decimal point where it should not be.

Smile

Jon, the number on the certificate is +/- 0.15%.

I came up with the same number you did, so I guess I didn't misinterpret anything. It just seemed too accurate,......

I will bring the gauge to OKC and we can play with it.

The gauge has a digital readout.

JIM

Way to go Jon. You just cost me $51.82 for valve caps, untold amount of money for magazine subscriptions to get a free prize. You owe me man. You buy the first round in OKC.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali