Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Zip Dee excitement

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Unfortunately my XL2 has manual ZipDee, but these locks will not work cause it's all glass where you're mounting into the coach.

I did purchase two locks from Marathon, which are expected to be glued to the window. I have yet to mount these, as I'm not sure which kind of glue to use. I really need to do that soon, before I have a runaway awning as JDUB did once in the West Texas area.
    Hi Ray. Haveyou spoken with Marathon down in Beaumont. They should have a recomendation. Or ask Scott over at Prevost in Mira Loma.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Thise clips look like they are attached to the bolt that fastens the top portion of the bar that the awning slides up on, to the bus. How do you remove them without the slider bar coming off?

Ray does your bus have this bar that you use to raise the awning up?

GregM

Greg,

Yes, there is that bar on the curbside awning. I will admit, I purchased my locks more for the driver side awning.

On an XL, generally the lock for the awning is put somewhere near the front to middle of the awning, bolted between windows.

On an XL2, the windows go all the way to the roof line, so there is no place to put the catch until you get to the very back of the awning, beyond the windows. Unfortunately, there is nothing securing the front of the drivers side awning, other than the catch 15 feel towards the rear.

A good wind will open the awning in some cases.

Ray

ps: Gary, yeah, I'll give Roger a call at Marathon and see what they suggest.

Ray,

I would check with ZeeDee first:

http://www.zipdeeinc.com/

1-800-338-2378

Alek

Ray, I would check with Zip DEE. At a Rally a few years ago I spoke with a company rep for Zip DEE about placement of the travel locks. He said then, that it should be place near the rear of the awning as that is the "Low Pressure" area on the awning tube while driving down the road. It would seem to me that would vary from coach to coach do to body design but, that was his advice.

That seems counter intuitive, as it's the front of the awning which will pull out from the coach, and tear the latch right out of the metal.

lonesome george Guest

orginal posted by gmcbuffalo
    Thise clips look like they are attached to the bolt that fastens the top portion of the bar that the awning slides up on, to the bus. How do you remove them without the slider bar coming off?
    Greg, take a look at post 41 of this thread, the first thing I did was replace the top bolt with a longer one and add a jam nut, then the clip, then the knob.

George I see that, thanks
    GregM

I agree Ray, but that is what the Rep said, twice as a matter of fact after I said "HUH?"

I will certainly believe the back end is the low-wind side. But personally, I want the high-wind side (the front) to stay put! I'm not worried about the latch, I'm worried about the awning heading down the pavement!!! They seem worried about the catch.