Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zip Dee excitement

Ray, don't know the exact product name, but at your favorite auto parts store get the glue for rear view mirror mounting to the front windshield.

JIM

Ray,

That does look like a real challenge. I would ask a local glass shop for advice. I'm guessing some type of epoxy or contact cement.

On the subject of awnings, the stitching on our patio awning has deteriorated due to weather/UV damage over the years. Talked to Zip Dee and they confirmed that this is typical and depends to a certain degree on how much exposure the awnings have had to the elements.

So...... we just returned from a quick trip to Liberty Coach to have the fabric replaced. Troy Moody and staff did a great job of taking care of us.

Now we can relax under the shade of our patio awning without having to worry about it coming apart at the seams with the next breeze

Jim, I would be concerned that rearview mirror glue wouldn't be strong enough. I've knocked off rearview mirrors without much effort, accidentally.

Not sure on the spelling. I would look at the "Sikaflex" brand product line. They have a whole line of special mastic adhesives. Prevost uses one for the XLII panels. I think they might work. They are non hardening and very tenacous.

JIM

Yeah, sikaflex might work. They put that around the windows as well.

Hi Ray. I would add to make sure it is Marine type adhesive .
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Given the cost and problems associated with window replacement on the XLII I would avoid doing anything that would stress the windows.

Has anyone checked with ZipDee to see if the brake used on the large awnings (old style, manual awnings) can be applied to the awning shown? That eliminates risking glass replacement.

jelmore Guest

When we were at Zip Dee, I asked about the latches on our window awnings. Jimmy was winding the springs and said if the springs are wound correctly, the latches aren't necessary. With the springs wound correctly, however, the awnings were difficult to pull down. I had the turns backed out some and prefer to use the latches.

This might be the case of them not doing a lot of field testing.

Jon,

That sounds like the most reasonable solution, but Zip Dee wanted none of it when I called them about the problem. They had no solution other than to tell me, "Sometimes that happens".

I told them that having that @*#&^$% awning wrapped around the top of my coach was not an option and that I would find a solution myself.

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, Zip Dee couldn't have been less help had they been in a coma.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Very well designed latch but glue it to the window?

If Zip-Dee will not use those locking latches they have on the patio awning on the smaller window awnings how about limiting the travel of those arms with hardware that inhibits their extension by fashioning something that is incorporated where it is attached at the bottom.

Half a million dollar bus and they expect you to glue that to the window, I can't get over that. No wonder I have never seen them before now.

Ray you need to post those photos in the hanging crap thread.