Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zip Dee excitement

jelmore Guest

Default Zip Dee excitement

Well, I thought it was exciting. While in the Chicago area, we stopped by Zip Dee for a tune up. Great, great service. New pull down straps on the window awnings, new motor on the big awning (warranty!!), cleaned up electrical connections, adjusted limit switches, checked batteries and adjusted air pressure, adjusted spring windings in all the awnings, lubricated everything, plant tour (that was cool), an overnight place to park. It was good. Highly recommended if you're in the area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good to hear. We were tempted to do the same, but our travel plans won't take us that far north this summer.

Our experiences with Zip Dee have all been positive.

This is great news for me. Need some Tune Up on ours also, although they are all manual. Especially need the straps. Will be up that way soon on way to Ohio, did you need much advance notice?

jelmore Guest

Just a couple of days notice. Talk to Jimmy. They made the straps while we were here. Their production is closed Friday, so schedule earlier in the week.

Does anyone know where to purchase these window mounted awning locks? I've just sent a note to ZipDee, but being a weekend, they are closed.

The XL2 coaches have a problem with ZipDee awnings, because the only place to mount the little locking latch is way at the back of the window, because forward of that the windows go all the way to the top of the coach, preventing a latch catch from being installed.

As JDUB found out, a strong wind, and your awning is leaving the coach. I've seen on some other coaches a glass mounted latch, which latches over the awning arms. I've done an internet search and have come up empty. The ZipDee site doesn't mention any such product.

Anyone know the source of these locks?

I really want to get a couple installed before heading out to OKC.

Ray

dalej Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    I really want to get a couple installed before heading out to OKC.

Ray

Why how come Ray? The rally is in October, usually after tornado season.

It doesn't take a tornado to make enough wind out in the southwest to tear off an awning. Ask JDUB how his drivers side awning faired on his trip to Disneyland area over Christmas vacation (also not tornado season, I think )

Ray

I can attest to the lack of Tornado Season. Driver Side ZipDee "unfurled" unexpectedly coming down off of Raton Pass in May on our way to Colorado. It came out and snapped right back, but oh what a surprise. Stopped and checked out and everything seems ok, I wonder if the snap had worked its way out, but , resnapped and double checked for fit, and resumed. Oh well, I needed the quick leg stretch and a chance for the blood pressure to level.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

You can easily fashion a locking mechanism that will look and work good.

Ray,

I got mine from Marathon. I think you can get them from Zip Dee, but they are not much help. I told them about the problem and they looked at me like a calf looking at a new gate.

They say it isn't a problem, so it is evident they don't use their own product. I replaced the back latch that broke in the wind and will soon mount the other lock.

Putting locks on it like the other side would work, but they don't seem interested in doing that either. I am contemplating stopping by there after OSH just to be a pain in the ass. They don't do phone calls well.