Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 Volt Thermostat

Default 12 Volt Thermostat

Anyone know where I can get something like this less than 44 bucks? Ive tried Granger, Lowes, Depot, etc. I want to run a bay cooling fan by thermostat.

Thermostat.jpg

I do not know the cost, but there are thermodisc switches. The circuit can be either normally open or closed depending on the terminals you use.

These are simple snap action switches actuated with a concave or convex bi-metallic disc. We used to use them as limit switches. They can be bought for specific te mperatures and are not adjustable, and at one time they were cheap. If I recall they were about $2.00. They switched at a set temperature and had a 5 or 10 degree temperature differential.

As an alternative why not let the fan run continuously? The pancake fans make little noise, you can get them cheap, and they draw little current.

jelmore Guest

I am also looking for these thermodisc switches. I have a couple of case fans installed, one in the overhead entertainment center and another in the desk drawer. All those electronics get hot and up front, the sun heats things up a lot. I got as far as http://www.thermodisc.com/searchProd...TechnologyID=1, but haven't called or tracked down a retail source.

Default This One Available from ACME

I think you can refit this one to work on a Liberty. Plenty cheap too.

acmeelec.jpg

Truk : They have simple thermostats on attic fans. I know they have 110v models but am not sure about 12v. Try Home Depot. I'll serch around.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

My previous Marathon had a little thermistor switch (like on Jim's URL above), which turned on a fan in the AV cabinet. Took me the longest time to figure that out though as it also had a regular panel mounted switch, and I turned it on one day, and the fan didn't come on. Finally figured out it was controlled by a thermo switch inline with the the regular switch!

So, they exist, perhaps Marathon parts could tell you where to get them. I'd guess at an electronics place, like a Frys or Marvacs or similar ??

Ray

I already have a snap disc that Brian installed, but I want to control the fan with a thermostat and be able to turn it off. I agree, the fans are cheap and I have a backup in case one fails.

Liberty actually did wire the fan to run continuously and I believe Brian found it dead, hence the addition of the snap disc.

Jimmy C - I can't believe you haven't found me one yet!

Tom I didn't know you were waiting on me.

This one may work, It does fit your cost parameters.

http://www.buyextras.com/dlmethfisaut.html

JIM

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Our czar of the search engine.

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Anyone know where I can get something like this less than 44 bucks? Ive tried Granger, Lowes, Depot, etc. I want to run a bay cooling fan by thermostat.

Thermostat.jpg
    Tom, we have the thermostat in our bathroom. It is made by " Kool-O-Matic". Look this up on the internet. I found it but I don't know how to copy on to this forum. Hope it is what you are looking for. Ours has the thermostat and under it is the fan option. Run -Off- Auto. Hope this might help.
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES