Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: maiden voyage

dreamchasers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gmcbuffalo View Post
    Hector
    Where is this solenoid located? My Dash heater/AC has a knob that controls it (I think). All the way clockwise there is click and it stops. Turn it CC and it has a large range of motion. The last time I used the coach I didn't notice much differences in the position of this knob. There are two separate knobs for the fans. I forgot to put a manual lever in the engine compartment in the summer mode. The reason I ask where this solenoid is located is I am wondering if I have solenoid or just a manual lever.
    GregM
    Greg,

The heater solenoid is located behind the front bumper, in the upper portion of the area. I lie on my back in this area and the solenoid is above. My solenoid is hard piped with a copper, with hoses tied in.

In my Country Coach, the knobs that I have appear to be similar to yours. I have two knobs, one that controls the fan speed. The second small knob controls the heat. The electrical diagrams show the knob intergraded with a temperature sensor to control the heat.

I have not checked out the circuitry to see if mine functions as designed, but looks simple enough. I am not sure what actually controls the amount of hot water flow for heat control, but if the solenoid is leaking, hot water will leak through the heater core resulting in a 'warming' of the air you are cooling through the AC evaporator.

Also, my Prevost has two 1/2" block valves in the engine compartment to block the heater hot water, supply and return.

Hector

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Greg it is on the ceiling of the front bumper bay center passenger side.

Never got to the explore the depths behind the front bumper today. That will be done over the next couple of days.

Thanks for your input guys. Condensers / evaporators.. got it.

I'm a little confused with closing up all openings and then making sure the shutters are open. Are we taking about the same.

The back of the compressor is clean with no evidence of a leak. Leak at a hose connection somewhere is my guess. R-12 is just about impossible to purchase here. I have heard horror stories of an upgrade to 134-A costing in the $6000.00 range.

Another question: What the hell is a front air baffle. I have a switch on the RH dash for it.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Your air baffle is shutters that are controllable from that switch that are mounted right to the backside of the bumper when you fold it down. That air intake for your dash fresh air I was referring to will be a slotted screen covered opening in the top lip of the spare tire opening itself.

Jon probably has nailed your problem your cruise airs are probably overheating and shutting down but I would still go over all the other suggestions, all are common and combined will add up to a big improvement.

Can we all agree that if you have a bus without Prevo OTR A/C and you will be running 2 a/c's off of inverters to cool the bus while underway those a/c units HAVE TO BE roof airs or you are risking not being able to cool the bus while moving around on very hot days?
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-24-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks Joe...... I agree with your comments. I definitely have to get my OTR fixed before we head south again.

Darrell, if you have shutters (or baffles) they are likely air operated and are behind the bumper, installed to the bumper. Mine default to open position. If you have them determine your default position, and if they are normally closed that could have been why the cruise airs were shutting down. They were not getting enough cool air to condense the freon.

I doubt if this relates to the bus heating / cooling system and its solenoid valves if you were not using OTR.

Joe,

You will have to define "very hot days." Two cruiseairs running off the inverters or gen, will in fact keep the bus comfortable on what I consider hot days, temps in the 90's. I have done it in my Marathon and also with the Liberty without the A/C's shutting down.

Now before you start throwing darts at me, if you were in the west and/or southwest at temps exceeding 100 degree's, I have no experience in that heat and do believe they would shut down due to overheating like Jon and others have stated. For those of us east of the big rocks, the cruiseairs are not a problem.

Let's hear from others that only have cruiseairs (gasp, no OTR) and get opinions based on actual facts and experience.

When mine shut down the outside temperatures were above 90, but not by much.

It was on our old bus which did not have radiator shutters. I think there will be a variation of experiences due to variations in the installation. As I recall the air to the Cruise Air condensing units on that bus has to enter the space behind the bumper through a series of slots across the opening. The bumper was solid, so air had to wind its way over and under the bumper to the slots and they were not that generous as I recall.

In retrospect I think the higher outside temps combined with a difficult air flow path, and limited open area for air to enter the Cruise Air compartment contributed to the issue. I think the air flow was actually impeded by the motion of the bus because when the bus was parked the Cruise Airs never shut down regardless of outside temps.

I don't know if we have to compare experiences as much as count the number of folks that have had problems to conclude for cooling while driving it is better to have roof airs.

I know it will create a huge debate, but I also think for comfort when driving we can also conclude the way to go is OTR, and if you cannot have OTR at least have roof airs with Cruise Airs being a distant third option.

I have no experience with what others call converter OTR so I do not know where to fit that into the pecking order of what's best. I do know if I had a coach with no OTR I would lie and tell the world how happy I am with whatever I have to keep it cool while driving. There is no sense trashing our own bus if we ever intend to sell it.

I tell you what Tom, I can't speak to the Cruiseair debate, but I can tell you that Austin is east of the big rocks and it is hotter'n hell here. 104 yesterday for about the 7th day in a row, and more of the same comin. Can't wait to get to the big rocks next month and cool off!

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Joe,

You will have to define "very hot days." Two cruiseairs running off the inverters or gen, will in fact keep the bus comfortable on what I consider hot days, temps in the 90's. I have done it in my Marathon and also with the Liberty without the A/C's shutting down.

Now before you start throwing darts at me, if you were in the west and/or southwest at temps exceeding 100 degree's, I have no experience in that heat and do believe they would shut down due to overheating like Jon and others have stated. For those of us east of the big rocks, the cruiseairs are not a problem.

Let's hear from others that only have cruiseairs (gasp, no OTR) and get opinions based on actual facts and experience.

Well, I can chime in here regarding a recent experience here in Florida where the temps have lately been in the mid to upper 90's.

We headed out of Port St. Lucie to spend a few days with friends last Thursday in Orlando and guess what..... no cold air from the OTR.... and it's in the low 90's

No problem dear.... we'll simply turn on the generator and crank up the CruiseAirs! Well..... as they say, not so fast.

I can tell you that in a 45' bus, in 90+ degree weather, driving down the highway that the CruiseAirs DO NOT DO THE JOB! Two shut down due to overheating within 30 minutes. If you like it toasty, you would have loved the ride.

But. there was also good news. Already being in Orlando, and in the spirit of spreading the wealth, we decided to head over to Parliament Coach to resolve our OTR problem. As suspected, low on refrigerant.

This was our first trip to Parliament Coach. Very good service experience. I owe a big "Thank You" to Rick May and his team for working tirelessly in sweltering heat to keep me and the missus cool

And when I say heat, the pavement temperature was measured at 140+

The ride home was so cold in the bus that Janice needed a sweatshirt..... there's NOTHING like Prevost factory OTR air conditioning.

We're back to being happy campers