Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: diesel fuel in fresh water tank

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Short who is the converter and where did you buy it?

sawdust_128 Guest

Short, sorry for these issues. The fuel in the water has created a situation which is fixable. You are just going to have to work your way through it. There is plenty of support here on the POG.

Default Sewer Gas

Just a reply to the sewer gas problems. I mentioned this a year or so ago and got a lot of flack, but we use diluted CLOROX in all the traps. I love the window open. I had the sewer gas thing in my 93 American Eagle and took years to solve. Never have had any plumbing problems either, same as the house plumbing.

Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Default Jake issue

Short: You sound pretty knowledgable, so forgive me if this is too obvious, but are you sure the Jake is not working? When I bought my '90 the dealer (a Prevost converter who really should know) told me the Jake was not working, but in fact it works fine. On the 2 strokes, there is almost no noticable braking affect when in high gear, and my jake does not function while the cruise control is engaged regardless of gear, so they thought it was not working. Others with a similar setup have thought the same. For effective engine braking on a long grade I need to downshift once or twice.

Bummer about the fuel in your water tank. Please keep us posted about how you get that worked out.

Short,

The Jake on our 92XL quit working on a trip to California. Replacing two relays remedied the situation. I can't remember if both relays were in the rear engine compartment box above the engine or if one was in the driver's side box below the driver's side window.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

My 85 Prevost American had a jake brake relay about eye level on the rear of the engine above the belt pulley. Very simple to replace, and if I recall not expensive at Detroit Diesel. Be sure to check it.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

A good way to see if the Jake is working properly on an 8V92 is to look at the Pyrometer (if equipped) and see where the temps are when descending off throttle. If the Jake is operating properly, you will see about 500-550 degrees. If the Jake on that bank is inop or weak the temps will drop to 300 degrees. A side benefit to the Jake is that it keeps the combustion chamber temps up which keeps the pistons warm, and the piston to wall clearance within specs. The 8V92's are happiest around 170-180 degrees coolant temp.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Steve you used the term weak? I was once told mine is weak. How can that be what does that mean? Either its workin or it aint