Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One charger not working

jelmore Guest

How about my rubber mallet! I've used that piece of stuff only once. It's time to make it useful. Thanks. Great info.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jim here is his #505-983-4095 goood luck

jelmore Guest

Nope. Thought I heard a click, but that didn't do it. Might take it all off line and disassemble it to see, but fiddling around with those kind of things makes me nervous.

jelmore Guest

Joe, like I've told you, you da' man. When I tried that the first time, I didn't turn off charger #1. Tried again, following instructions this time, and dang, that did it! Both chargers are working dandy, for now. I will break it down and tighten things up, maybe this evening when it's cooler.

jelmore Guest

I just talked to Dave Gusdorf and what great help! He explained about the connector from the main board to the ac board. It's in the front, upper left hand corner. The connector, 10 pins or 14 pins, could be tin or gold contacts depending on the age of the inverter. That's my recollection of his explanation, it's close. The authorized way of making a repair is to clean the contacts with something like d-oxit and it is not considered user-serviceable. I'll probably try it.

I have three disconnects switches in that electrical bay, 12v house, inverter #1 and inverter #2. I'm pretty sure that those will disconnect all power to the inverters. Jon -- do you know for sure? I've done that before to replace an inverter fan with no issues, but Dave said I may have been lucky.

Jim,

I am not familiar with the 12V set up. When I installed the by-passes on my inverters I turned off my inverters, then my inverter 120V switches which are labeled battery charger one and two, then turned off all four house battery shut off switches, then I unplugged the bus from the shore power.

To be certain the power was off I used my voltmeter to check for power at the battery cables and at the 120 Volt power in and out from the inverters.

Call me chicken.

jelmore Guest

I'll follow you on that chicken part.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

How cool is that

Jim,I am almost certain that Liberty charges in the auto start mode by time(6 hours) and not by voltage,they assume that if the generator runs for 6 hours the batteries are fully charged.

jelmore Guest

Jack, now that's interesting. Good to know. I haven't done the math, but if the chargers are set to deliver only 5 amps, which these can be set at, I wouldn't think a battery bank at 11v would get fully charged. But then again, the Liberty default setting on these chargers is to let them charge a full rate until the charger circuit determines that the batteries are fully charged, which would be well under 6 hours.

I guess I have never had the autostart on while the generator is on for that long. I've run the generator longer, but I guess without the autostart on.

Liberty is pretty smart on all of this. Well thought out. Almost everything I've found is operator error (or misunderstanding).