Thread: Air Filter

Question Air Filter

In the Prevost parts catalog there is listed an, AIR FILTER, 64-0080.

It is a two piece item that disassembles at a flange in its center held by four bolts
    The element is in the canister.

When changing the element you need a new element and a new gasket for the flanged joint.

The filters location and specific use are not indicated. I don't think it is for brake air as the fittings are only 3/8".

Does anyone know, is it an optional item on the bus. I have not been able to find one on my bus.

Any discussion on the topic would be appreciated.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Yes Jim I know that canister and filter. We have 2 of them 1 in the steering bay 1 in the engine compartment. With the previous owners lack of maintenance of the air dryer allowing water to accumulate everywhere a freeze cycle distorted that canister and I had air bubbling out the flange could not stop it with a new gasket and sealer. I pulled it.

That "filter" in ours is a spool of twine. I think Prevo picked them up from military surplus from WW1, next room over from where they got the 8-V's

If I were you I would replace it with the in line air filter like the norgren one that you should have in your steering bay.

If you keep it check that flange for leaks and let us know what kind of cartridge they are currently sending for it, if it is still a spool of twine or what.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-21-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Exclamation

Thanks Joe, tomorrow I will check with P parts and see if my vin tells them how many I have.

As an aside, when I was performing some air leak detection maneuvers I used the refrigeration industries Big Blu as recommended in an old post. While reading about it and it's attributes in the mfg's. literature I came across another product that they developed, NYLOG, Blue.
    This stuff is unbelievable. It is a thread sealer and gasket/O-ring conditioner. It comes in a small bottle with a dispensing top to apply drops of the Nylog.
    It is applied to the thread which is then wrapped with Teflon tape and then again applied to the tape before assembling the joint.
    I used this method on several new joints and did not have any leaks after assembly.
    The Nylog is also advertised to be used on ferrule and flared fittings. I used it on these also repairing old leaks that I found on the bus.

The link that contains many good sub links. Read them ALL.
    http://www.refrig.com/index.htm

One of the sub links about Nylog Blue:
    http:
    //www.refrig.com/nylog.html

Good Hunting, JIM