Thread: Anyone know what's on the lid?

lewpopp Guest

Sawdust,

Peter has already come up with a name for his soap...."PETERSOAP"

Now don't use too fast.

sawdust_128 Guest

Lew: Is that first hand knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I too am surprised your top was not painted before the clear coat was applied. As can be seen in the photo below, mine has gray paint on the roof. I always assumed all the 99 CC models came that way. I've waxed mine twice just to keep it clean and shiny.

Dale,

Finally donned a jump suit and climbed up. Top is just like yours save it appears to be a silver rather than a grey...........

The clear coat has failed in a couple of spots however not in the usual sense. Base/Clear systems, when they come off usually leave an ugly half washed out primer look behind, suppose this is due to the reaction between the two coatings after they catalize when the clear is applied. This one looks like someone, most likely CC, applied a clear coat over the original paint which looks all in the world like a silver acrylic enamel. Looks like the best fix on this roof would be to apply a two part urethane single stage grey or silver, perhaps white after a little scuffing and a thorough wipe with Prep-Sol. There is not very much to mask so it looks like a fairly easy job however it cannot be painted until the temperature around here drops into the 80 range, even then the slowest reducers tend to gum up the gun. Guessing at three gallons of paint to do the job.....

John

John, I'm glad to hear you had some real paint under that clear coat. It would definitely have to be cooler than around here to do painting.

I just noticed it is 106 on my front porch in the shade. Must be 112+ with the heat index factored in. Makes me wish I was back i Yellowstone for the summer.
    Last edited by dale farley; 06-18-2009 at 05:30 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

John,

Here is the link to the roof coating on my bus that Brian provided:
    http://www.tapecoat.com/tc_pdf/TC_Roofseal.pdf

The cost for the product when Brian had it done was $260.00 for a 5 gallon pail. One pail should be enough to do your bus.

Sounds like your heading in a different direction, but thought you would want to check it out.

Got the same problem. Camped in N. Arkansas this week while up here for work related stuff. Survived a severe storm with 60+ mph winds and 15 minutes of intense marble to quarter size hail without visible damage - however, next day in the dry wind and sun I had large flakes of clear coat from the roof laying all around the coach. Haven't had time to climb up there yet but I know the roof is painted underneath.

I guess the clearcoat on the roof is prone to failure because the sides of the coach look great still thankfully.

Just received an email from Parliament Coach in Florida on ceramic roof coating starting at $39 per foot.

Mango, Spending $13k plus probably works for you PP dudes but I'll take the ceramic coating that the Sheepman posted.

The current price for TC Roof Seal: http://www.tapecoat.com/other_pages/roofseal.html, is still around $300.00 for a 5 gal. pail (enough to do a 45' coach).

While the top coating on the coaches that Truk, Brian and others have advised is probably a very viable solution, I am going with re-clearing the top with a two part clear.
    I spread the white stuff on the lid of another motorhome and although the job, at very least is messy, it worked well; my complaint is that it did not go on smoothly and was difficult to work. The stuff is a dirt magnet and probablly induces skin friction (drag), not that it really matters, however the upshot is that it probably adds R something to the lid.
    A good two part clear can be applied in a very few minutes and should last 5+ years without anything. Scuff the lid up a bit being careful not to penetrate the base coat and let her rip.......... It's cheaper, more appealing, and keeps things looking stock.

John

Well after paste waxing the bus with carnauba, beating on rub rails for a week followed by incessant polishing, I went up on the roof. What a mess, it was too hot when I discovered the issues (peeling clear coat), but now, thanks to a half dozen or so more pressure washings and a little more time......looks like someone with a really bad sunburn, say a week ago, and it is peeling everywhere. Looks like my only option is to pack several lunches, by about 1500 disc sheets of 320 and see if my air compressor and dual action sander can handle the job. I do not see any way to apply anything to the roof unless it has something to stick to and, peeling clear isn't going to be it!

The lid is made of sheet metal, not stainless and obviously painted well in a gray finish by Prevost. It was CC, who squirted the clear over every thing, at least that is my guess. A gallon of clear out to do the job and the finishes are a bit better than they were ten years ago, nevertheless, do not let anyone power spray your roof...lesson learned, or about to be