Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what's on the lid?

Petervs Guest

I would suggest you paint on the pick up truck bed liner material. It can be done in white to help keep the coach cool, it sticks like mad, will insulate because it will be 1/16 or 1/8 inch thick. Tough as anything, can be dyed to any color if you don't like white, and is not slippery if you ever have to walk on it.

You could have it professionally sprayed or brush it yourself.

It is not necessary to simply repeat the mistakes of the past. Anytime I do a project I always try to make the end result better than it was before, much more satisfying that way.

My experience painting typical bed-liner materials is that they are quite heavy. Would the weight of this material be a special consideration for application on a bus roof?

Otherwise, it sounds like it may be a good material for the job....

Lightbulb

I think you are close to the point of doing it right. (the top is almost clean)

Clean off all the old crap get completely down to bare metal and properly prepare the aluminum for paint, just as you would an airplane and apply clear coat to that if you wish. I would paint the roof white.

If you decide to do something else, realize that you will be doing it over and over, again and again.

Did you ever have an Airstream?

JIM

sawdust_128 Guest

I saw this stuff at one of the shows and like it a lot. I also believe that it is manufacturer approved for aliminum and fiberglass.

Insuladd e-coat

http://www.insuladdstore.com/ecoat.php

I also like Peter's idea about the bed liner. I guess my concern would be about getting that stuff off of the roof if you needed to make a repair. I don't know much about it Peter. How does that stuff come off? Is thgat even a reasonable consideration?

I know that with at least a few of the bed liner suppliers, if you order 5+ gallons, they will custom color it. It takes 5 qts for an 8' truck bed. Is the coach roof more than 5 beds worth of area? Probably. They can be applied by roller and are fast drying.

I too am surprised your top was not painted before the clear coat was applied. As can be seen in the photo below, mine has gray paint on the roof. I always assumed all the 99 CC models came that way. I've waxed mine twice just to keep it clean and shiny.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dale farley; 06-17-2009 at 09:43 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I don't remember who, but some time ago someone posted their coating of their bus roof and it looked great.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Sawdust what repairs would you be doing to the roof after appling truck bed liner? The stuff is never going to leak. I did my 4107 with the Camping World stuff and then covered it with white enamel and it looked great, wore I well also.
    GregM

sawdust_128 Guest

Buffaloe Breath:

How about WATCH OUT! Low branch. Oh crap!!! I can't help it. My Mother's maiden name was Murphy.
    Last edited by sawdust_128; 06-16-2009 at 11:11 PM.

sawdust_128 Guest

Here's the link to a previous roof paint thread.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...highlight=roof

Thanks for all of the suggestions. To be honest, I just took a quick glance at the roof yesterday... as one, I was not dressed for the occasion and two, the temperature was a bit over 100 degrees....not condusive for a close examination. As I mentioned it looked like "cleared" aluminum plate but I most certainly could be in error; could well have been painted steel

I have used the bed liner coating before however the finish really is not too smooth, hence it becomes a bit of a dirt magnet, not that it won't clean up becuase it will, it just grabs dirt and dust.

My thoughts now are to go up there a re-clear the lid with one of the newer coatings. Although at this point it is just a guess, I am thinking that CC didn't do much, if anything, to the roof when they converted the coach save cut a few holes and do some touch up.............so, what I am looking at is what Prevost sprays on at the factory. I would have thought an acrylic industrial strength enamel vice a base/clear system.

I'll post an update and a couple of pix......

John