Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URGENT-Satellite system question

Default URGENT-Satellite system question

I'm new, but here I am asking a question already. I'm currently at Marathon Texas. I have a KVH model L3 in motion satellite system that was installed new in 11/05. Unfortunately it has been damaged (I'm not pointing fingers but it was working when I got here to pick up the bus and now it doesn't). I would like to know what everyone is using. IE: tilt up like a Moto-sat, stationary dome, or in motion dome. They are going to replace it tomorrow so I need info PDQ. Thanks all.

We have a KVH in-motion dome, model R6 I believe. We're very happy with it and use it for Directv with a DVR receiver.

Good luck!

jelmore Guest

And we use an R5 in-motion from a couple of years ago. It's not current, but works well with DishNetwork HD service. Needs a serious upgrade ore replacement to work with DirectTV HD. We just switched to Dish from Direct to get the HD.

I have KVH in-motion, however, I'm not sure of the model at the moment. I'd have to check documents in bus. It's working fine with standard DirectTV. I do not have HD service.

Quote Originally Posted by HarborBus View Post
    I'm new, but here I am asking a question already. I'm currently at Marathon Texas. I have a KVH model L3 in motion satellite system that was installed new in 11/05. Unfortunately it has been damaged (I'm not pointing fingers but it was working when I got here to pick up the bus and now it doesn't). I would like to know what everyone is using. IE: tilt up like a Moto-sat, stationary dome, or in motion dome. They are going to replace it tomorrow so I need info PDQ. Thanks all.

E squared.......We had problems with a KVH and when we tried to get it serviced it was frustrating to put it mildly. It was strongly recommended we get a TracStar because the entertainer coaches were being fitted with them because of their reliability.

I can say that with the exception of a bad cable connector that the TracStar techs helped me isolate the performance has been superb. It load extremely fast and we now listen to XM radio over it while going down the road. It loads and locks and has been very reliable.

I will not ever go back to a KVH.

On Jon's recommendation about a year ago, we had a new TracStar system put in and it works great. We have never had an issue with it. We use DirecTV service. Good Luck.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

jelmore Guest

Jon, sorry about your trouble with KVH. Maybe that was an older model? Our KVH R5 supports HD through DishNetwork on multiple receivers. It has to be programmed by an installer to the satellites you are subscribed to, but once done, it's pretty much flawless on finding and tracking satellites. I've found KVH support to be excellent, but I haven't had to have anything repaired.

Boy, you guys are great I rally appreciate the quick responses. FYI I am with direct TV and have been for years. I do notice that KVH systems do not support many HD channels as the KVH systems work on the Ku-band and DTV is in the process of changing to the Ka-band so there only approx 15 HD channels available. You can read more at: http://www.kvh.com/hdtv/hdtv_directv.asp. I still haven't made up my mind so keep the comments coming and thanks again.

I have KVH and its a 2001 I believe with two recievers for front and back tv with RCA recievers and Direct tv. the only problem I've had was with a bad satelite reciever. I replaced it for abou $190.00 and everything works fine.
    http://www.kvh.com/LandMobile/
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

As a DirecTV subscriber since 1995, I found only one setup that would support the full HD DirecTV lineup currently, a fold down dish from Winegard called the Trav'ler. I believe Motosat has a similar setup, but my research indicated that most people had found the Winegard product to be more reliable.

I had the setup put in at the beginning of May and it has worked flawlessly so far. One button puts the system in motion and it usually seeks and locks on to all three satellites in about 2-3 min. Signal strength has been far better than the stationary setup at my house ever was. Stowing for travel is also a single button push and takes less than a couple of minutes.

The only drawback is that it can only be used while you are parked, but that was not a factor for us.

Bruce