Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bicycles

After reading the above, I think it is clear POG is truly full of crap.

Ed, you definitely need to get on the road and start spreading some of yours far and wide.

Sheep! Did someone say Sheep...

sawdust_128 Guest

Default I've had enough crap! But I have other questions...

If you are carrying full size bikes, how/where do you do carry them? What racks are you using? How are you securing/locking them?

Holy crap Busman that's a lot of questions.

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Sheep! Did someone say Sheep...

Stand down big fella. They were talking about sheep crap, maybe.

We use a Thule bike rack which attaches to the spare tire on the back of the Jeep. This allows both bikes to swing out of the way when opening the rear door for access to the storage area behind the back seat.

Works great, but it's been my experience that we cart the bikes several thousand miles around the country to end up using them only a couple of times.

This trip, I think we're leaving them home in storage.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I think you are worried someone will invite you to spend the entire day in loose gravel uphill into the wind.

Paul, Ed and Cindy will be following the trail we blazed last year. Will you guys be coming thru again this year?
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-14-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Joe,

We're headed to the desert southwest this year. Thought we would wait 'till at least July in order to take advantage of the warmer weather.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll make it to your neighborhood this summer. We had a great time last summer and I'm sure Ed and Cindy will enjoy your company.

And yes Ed, you definitely want to take the bike tour like we did!

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Good bike rack and neat hitch tool

Ed- I looked around whenever I stayed at RV parks to see what other people were using for bike racks for a while before picking one. I wound up with this one that I've been very happy with http://www.bikerackshops.com/SGXC2BIKE.html the thing I like about it is how very fast you can get the bikes on off. If the bikes are a hassle to get off I find that I don't use them very much. This rack is extremely quick and secure as the bikes very well in stable.

Another neat product that guide is this dual hitch receiver http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/p-RVT1028.html this site you carry a bike rack and does something else like a boat, Waverunners, etc. I don't know if you could put a car on there and not because I don't know how the car device attaches to the bus but I think it goes in through the Reese hitch. I've never towed a car with me. I also went to a trailer hitch supply place and bought an extension to bring the rack out about another 12 to 15 inches because it was a little too close to let me open up the bay doors with the bikes on.

Jon this sounds like Jeff is hanging bikes off the back of his bus.
    GregM

Jeff Bayley Guest

Yes, once in a while. No toad though remember ? Would a plastic Saturn look better than the bikes you think ?

I forgot to mention another reason why I liked that Swagman brand of bicycle carrier. It was the also the only one I could find that came with an optional waterproof cover which fits and tightens up really nice with a couple of built-in snug straps.