Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago - McCormick Convention Center

tomklau Guest

Question Chicago - McCormick Convention Center

Has anyone stayed in the marshalling yard at McCormick Place Convention Center in Chicago? We hear you can dry camp there. We're heading to a Cubs game and it sure would be nice staying downtown rather than 50 miles away!

If you've stayed there, please share the scoop with us!

Karin
    Last edited by tomklau; 06-05-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Name incorrect

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I have been there it is where we tailgate the Bears games.

I think that would be a great place to park see the city.

I have not spent the night there and am unfamiliar with the rules but there is security it is fenced in and is a safe location.

We are talking about an asphalt lot.

When are you coming?

I-55 North comes to an end at Lake Shore Drive, go south to the first ramp. If the lot is reasonably empty there is a median with grass and trees planted, maybe 4 ft wide, about 1/2 way in. You can parallel park next to it and use it for a front yard, typically that is where we park for the football game.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-06-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Karin - from the McCormick Place website:

The parking rate is currently at $19. This is a flat fee regardless of the amount of time the vehicle is parked. Parking fees can be paid by cash or credit card; VISA, MasterCard and American Express are accepted. Parking lots are open throughout event hours. Overnight parking is not available.
    The official McCormick Place website is here: http://www.mccormickplace.com

Here is a link to the Chicago Parking Industry Labor Management Council (PILMC) website that has dynamic maps of the parking in Chicago with specific information about each area/lot. http://www.chicagoparkingmap.com/ Maybe that will give you some ideas. You can always use the "Jeff Bayley" approach and just park somewhere like you belong there!

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I do not know how overnight goes but I know there is a guard in the gate house and tractor trailers in there 24-7 According to the Mc Cormick website Mike put up Lot B is the one we used and all the semis use. It is not mentioned on the site other than the photo. I'm sure the big rig drivers spend the night there when nessessary. That 19 dollar rate may not be applicable I know we used to get charged 25 bucks for a football game.

If you would like to overnight there I can take a ride and ask the gate keeper/guard. I think it might be probably o/k, it would be no trouble at all.

You are welcome to stay with us next to our bus across the street. It is less than 100yrds to the train station and it will drop off right at the ball park or drive time is about equal.

We have not been to Wrigley Field since we were 10, great part, accept for the lights it hasn't changed one bit.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-06-2009 at 07:44 PM.

tomklau Guest

Thanks! I actually did a bit more research and came upon www.choosechicago.com website. That led me to information about the marshalling yard for McCormick Place along with the phone number:

"Fenced, patrolled lot open 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year except during very large trade shows. $20 per day with in/out privileges.
    Call (312) 808-3138 for more information. Parking lot attendant can provide taxi information for drivers returning to the downtown area."

We were at a rally recently and someone had told us about the marshalling yard. They'd stayed there before and recommended it. Of course, we couldn't remember who the heck we were talking to about it!

I'll let you know what I find out when we call!

Karin

tomklau Guest

Joe -

Tom and I are big Cubs fans! Whenever we are up that way during baseball season we always go to Wrigley! We'll be there in September and already have our tickets

We'll call the marshalling yard on Monday. I'll report back on what I find out.

Karin

lewpopp Guest

Tom,

You mean to tell me you are galavanting all over the world and you are leaving the resorts alone with the little tattletale Roger? Isn't this fun. I do something ( or at least someone thought I did) for a laugh to see how long it took the tattletale to report and he broke a record.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Karin the directions I gave earlier will be correct and it will be lot B on that McCormick website.

What is the date of the game and what are your seat#s

Default Chicago thread creep

Jen and I are looking for an RV parking area for about three days in July so dry camping is not really an option for us. Joe, can you or anyone else recommend a park that would have decent access to the train into the city? Help appreciated.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Terry your willingness to take the train in opens up many possibilities.

Commuter service into here from South Bend, In from the east, Milwaukee to the north Rockford and Aurora going West.

There is a place Paul and Janice stayed in Marengo I think, he will chime in, I believe it was about the closest, nothing to write home about. The campground will be able to tell you where the closest commuter station is. It is about an hours drive from there if you wait till 9am to head in.

If that does not work for you what way are you coming from.

I was unaware of the opportunity to overnight at McCormick lot until that was posted here. That is the ticket if you could get by with water.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-07-2009 at 08:47 PM.