Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H1 Hummers/Towing/Owning/Experience??

Part of my reasoning is based on last years trip. We found several out of the way lakes and streams for kayaking that were recommended to us by locals who were either trying to help or get rid of us for good. Way off road miles down logging roads, great places in each case, but the Saturn was operating beyond its pay grade in each case. made it each time, but had a few detours around the big stuff getting there and back.

Would like to be able to just go with some degree of comfort knowing that the vehicle was up to the task, even if we were not.

There are always compromises in all cases, too much vehicle too little, great off road poor tow vehicle, too heavy,

1948 Willys Jeep easy to tow, easy to tip over easy to repair.

I might just add some bigger, wider run flats and wheels to the saturn, and drive it into the ground.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

If you thought my previous post was nothing more than opinion and still want this H-1 and you are serious about maintenance and reliability or lack there of please talk to some who have had the opportunity to work on these tanks on a regular basis.

You will look away.

In your defence I could not think of a better stewart for the Marathon you currently have than you.The way and extent that you have gone through it has been totally complete. If anyone had the ability to overcome the maintenance and design nightmare of the H-1 it's you and I suspect it would be the same there too.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 05-26-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Bruce, I have the smaller size H3 Hummer and love it. All though in retrospect sometimes I wish I had the bigger H2, just for the additional room inside. Tows great, and no issues after I got it all set up.

Jon, do you have the M & G brake on your H2? I called them and they told me their braking system wouldn't work. The only brake set up at least for the H3 was the SMI Air Force One, which I had put on.

Works great, at least I think it does.

Gary S.

Joe, I missed your post, sorry, this is important stuff, this is the reason I posted in the first place. wanted just this type of first hand experience. I was wondering if the whole package was a pieced together street version of a military Cluster (you know what) that becomes a nightmare to operate.

I do however really like the look and the size, feels like it fits better with our buses, but i really do not want to be chasing problems a long way from home.

I guess I should be thinking about something that is more mainstream, then of course why do we own buses instead of plastic motorhomes?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Peggy Stevens View Post
    Bruce, I have the smaller size H3 Hummer and love it. All though in retrospect sometimes I wish I had the bigger H2, just for the additional room inside. Tows great, and no issues after I got it all set up.

Jon, do you have the M & G brake on your H2? I called them and they told me their braking system wouldn't work. The only brake set up at least for the H3 was the SMI Air Force One, which I had put on.

Works great, at least I think it does.

Gary S.
    Thanks Gary, Not sure if the H-3 (much better looking than my vehicle, bigger tires and all)offers much more room and a huge improvement in the off road side of things, will test drive one when I head to the H-Store this week, under a bit of self induced time pressure to get going, but will make the ride.

You mentioned the SMI brake. I think about the same thing, i cannot see my little light bar in my backup camera, hope it works?

Bruce, I can see the brake light SMI installed, through my rear camera but in the day lite it is sometimes hard to tell if if is on, but easy to tell at night.

You can't have the light installed in the toad, cause everytime you put on the brake, it lights up, even if you are just driving the toad. You don't want the bright blue light lighting up inside the toad everytime you apply the brakes?

Good luck on the Hummer Test drive. They should be making real good deals on them now !

Gary S.

lewpopp Guest

Looks like we have another case of Small Man Syndrome. The smaller the man, the bigger size tools he wants.

Lew,

Are the meds low is did happy hour end too soon?

Default Lew your slacking

"Is" is a Texas word for or. Or is that an Arkansas word? No the guy from Arkansas wanted to know what the definition of is is. It must be an Oklahoma term.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost