Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Strange Sound Emanating from My Coach

So Richard, What was the " Jake Brake " noise ?

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by JIM KELLER View Post
    Jim,

I'm still looking and listening. The sound is still there but I've eliminated the satellite tracking, and webasto as the cause. I'll keep looking and let you know as soon as I find it or in case I go stark raving mad from the annoying sound, the lovely Mrs. Barnes will post the answer.

RB
    Richard and Audrey Barnes
    and Jessie Jane The Wonder Dog!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

My Blood Runs Deep Orange

Richard, just wondering, does anyone but you hear the sound??

JIM

Lightbulb

Richard, let us know if you use an ice maker, and turn it off for a while to rule it out, if you do.

On my bus, similar to yours, there are cooling fans for the electricals down in the bays. Somewhere behind the scenes and out of sight in bay two. They run all the time. Maybe they are going bad.

Have you checked for anything by looking from the outside of the bus, that is, under it or in the bays. Is it louder there or not even heard.

Early on you said you turned off all the breaker switches. I took that to mean those on the interior panel.

Have you tried turning off the inverters themselves after turning off all the circuit breakers?

If you turn off the engine and house batteries at their switches does the sound go away. If so turn them on one at a time and listen for the sound to come back.

I see from your profile that you are in Labor Relations, have you ruled out a bomb?

JIM

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Toilet air pump

I skimmed through the 4 pages of replies. Not sure if anyone suggested the air pump for the toilet but mine was cycling like that except I'm not sure if I would compare it to a jake sound. It slows down and the sound changes and finally stops when it reaches pressure.

There is another thread I had on this and how I remedied it with the right check valve in line instead of replacement of the pump which was getting worn and letting air leak back out. With the check valve, it NEVER looses air, leaks and runs every so often anymore. If you want, email me and I'll find the old link, or I still have photos in my computer that I can email you direct if you want to check this out.

But as someone suggested, you might want to locate the suspect, open the bay and kick back and see if you can catch the noise to see if that's it. On my system, it has a pressure gauge and you can make a note of your pressure, return 10 minutes later and see if it's dropped and get a clue.

Yes, the lovely Mrs. Barnes hears the same noise. This weekend I intend to isolate this noise. I'll let you guys know what I find.

RB
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

Default Strange Sound Emanating from My Coach

Okay guys, I isolated the noise and it is the fresh water tank sentry. Any ideas on how to repair this? Any help appreciated.
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

Quote Originally Posted by JIM KELLER View Post
    Jim,

It is the fresh water tank sentry. Any ideas on how to repair?
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

These tank sensors normally do make some noise as they do their job. Your noise could easily be "normal" and not necessarily in need of repair.

If it's bothersome during the night, try just turning the sensor off.

Just remember to turn it back on later....

The noise as Paul points out is normal. The lack of noise is the abnormal condition.

I think this was pointed out earlier, but if not it is a tiny compressor in the unit that purges the sensor tube with air. Then the pressure from the column of water in the holding tanks is measured and used to light the level indicator lights.

If the sound is annoying turn off your water and holding tank sensor system.

Think of it like you do the engine. The engine makes noise when it is working.