Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange Sound Emanating from My Coach

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Richard,

Putting your conversion and year in your signature would help you with answers. I don't have a clue what you have.
    1998 Liberty XL
    Thanks, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Richard,

Putting your conversion and year in your signature would help you with answers. I don't have a clue what you have.
    Tom,

I have a 98 Liberty XL
    Thanks,
    Richard

Richard,

Could it possibily be one of the Inverter fans?? Don't know about Liberties, but in Marathons of our vintage, the fans are hardwired and shutting off all breakers wouldn't silence them. One could be going bad.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Richard,

Now I can get specific. If the noise is under the dish, see if the satellite is looking for a signal. That thing makes lots of noises if it loses a signal due to trees, heavy clouds, or just because it is acting up.

On both sides of the last bay you will hear the timy pumps that Jack and Roger mentioned. They cycle periodically. If you think that is what is doing it, turn off the switches at the level displays over the front windows in the TV control box.

If it is the aux air compressor you will hear that coming from beneath the floor somewhere under where the floor slide is. The bottom LH switch in the electric panel should kill that noise.

If it is the inverter fans, making lots of noise is a bad thing. My inverters are under the bed. Yours may be in the electric compartment. Regardless of where they are, if they are making the noise that needs to be takne care of pronto. A noisy inverter fan is one that is failing, and if it does quit heat can damage the inverter.

Other things that make noise in my coach are the refrigerator. It has a condensing coil fan located in the rear bottom near the compressor. If that is the noise that needs to be replaced also or your refrig is done working.

There are a lot of other fans and noise makers but they are assocated with stuff like the Webasto. The Webasto sounds like a jet plane when it lights off. The circulating pump sounds like a whine, and the various heat exchangers throughout the coach just make a lot of noise.

There is a circulating pump in the Webasto system that runs randomly for a short duration. Very quiet though, but yours might be going bad. After first getting the bus the sound would bother me. Now that I am used to it, I rarely notice it.

I thought you had a Liberty. You just sounded like a Liberty kind a guy.

JIM

Jim,

I know of no reason why the Webasto pump runs randomly, nor would I describe it as quiet.

Are you sure you are not confusing that with the Headhunter water level mini compressors?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barnes View Post
    For two months I've noticed a sound as I sleep at night. It sounds like a muffled jake brake and it cycles over and over from high pitch to low. <snip> Any ideas to keep me from going completely nuts?

Richard Barnes
    I had a similar problem once, but I took some Bean-o and it fixed me right up!

Mikey: You are fitting in with Jdub POG group for sure.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Quote Originally Posted by rfoster View Post
    Mikey: You are fitting in with Jdub POG group for sure.
    Rut-roh!

Richard wrote: I turned off every breaker in the coach and the sound did not go away. I was plugged into 50 amp power and the inverters were on but I couldn't tell if they were the cause. Any ideas to keep me from going completely nuts?

If Richard has cut off all breakers to the converter side of the bus, then what besides the inverters themselves could be making any noise that is converter related?

He appears to have a 2001/2003 Prevost XLII BY ??. But if he has no AC on in the bus then could it be Prevost related, maybe the air compressor, High pitch to low makes sense the Jake Brake sound leaves me puzzled. I also hate noises at night.

Richard wrote: It sounds like a muffled jake brake and it cycles over and over from high pitch to low.