Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Over-the-road air??

Jon: is that why I sometimes get a Hi PS when driving?
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

Gran,

That is exactly why.

The highway is heating up in the sun and the temperatures radiating from it as you cruise down the road are just too hot for the condensing unit in the Cruise Airs.

When you are parked however, the underside of the coach is in the shade and the intake cooling air is closer to the ambient air temperature so the Cruise Airs work as intended. In addition to Jim Shoen's misting system I seem to recall someone created a way to get more air flow across the condenser coils as another way to cure the problem.

We learned this many years ago on a trip when the OTR on our bus had a bad circuit breaker. At the time I though we could just run the generator and all the Cruise Airs to stay comfortable. It did not happen. Every one of them shut diown. Only after the sun went down did we start getting the Cruise Airs to function. What a miserable trip.

I will never own a bus without OTR.

Hillndale,

You'll be just fine without OTR, many of us don't have it and your roof airs will take good care of you while driving when needed.

I'm on my 3rd bus without OTR and surprised I'm still here. According to some, I should by now just be a small puddle of goo after melting from the sun while driving the bus! Hope I can get through the summer without intravenous feedings from dehydration brought on by the lack of OTR.

dalej Guest

Well said Tom!

We too are still alive from being slow roasted in our Prevost w/o OTR air oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post

In addition to Jim Shoen's misting system I seem to recall someone created a way to get more air flow across the condenser coils as another way to cure the problem.

Steve Bennett's personal bus has a high capacity blower setup that he says works nicely to help his cruiseairs ginning in the heat.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

If I offended some by my post on OTR I did not intend to do so. And if it was offensive, I think you should go back and re-read the post carefully.

My statement was simply that I have owned both, and my opinion is that the OTR is preferable.

If anyone else can say they have owned one of each, and can say they prefer a NON OTR coach, I have a hard time believing it.

Guess there is now three things you should never discuss: politics, religion, and PREVOST OVER THE ROAD AIR!

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Pete,

Don't fret. The Krakman just leaves the door of his fridge open to suppliment the cooling. Of course that lowers the temp of the beer and causes a simultanious issue with the "Low Beer" light on the dash, but he just has a case of OTR envy. He'll get over it.

Pete,

I doubt that any of the guys are really offended. I have never had Prevost OTR air, and I am perfectly satisfied with my CC OTR air, but in reality, I have never had to use it.

If I had Prevost OTR air, I would certainly be looking for reasons to like it as we most often do when we have any feature on our bus. I am sure it will keep the bus cooler than any other source available. The only time I would hate that I had the Prevost unit would be when I had to do major repairs, such as replace the compressor.

Fortunately, most of us concentrate on the things we like about our current coach and accept the things we may not like as well as another available option that we don't have. If we don't do that, we would all go nuts trying to keep up with the Jones.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

dalej Guest

Pete-

All is good! We just spur each other and try to hang on for 8 seconds.

Pete, Fear not. Truk is a little grump living down there near Hotlanta without OTR trying to make like everything is OK. In reality he just wishes he had it.

Those of us with OTR know the truth.