Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Over-the-road air??

Several times passing thru Arizona in the summer, temp is over 100, and its 72 inside the Coach. I didn't even think about it until stopping at a rest stop and stepping outside into a heat wave.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

My PHX trip was in the new bus. The Palm Springs trip was the inagural trip on the XL when we bought it in San Diego. I was a dumb as a box of Loc but made it home anyway.

That's way harsh.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Default New very high efficiency belly air inverter technology

The question is why they don't install ultra compact inverter
    belly AIR CONDITIONING units? 24V directly from a nice lithium battery bank, this way the alternator can keep up with the load at cruising, less belts and systems to go wrong, conform air Cond idle law, no noise, solar, generator by charging the batteries the same way we do on boats..

Might be fun if the make them air cooled? All of the marine type units that I have seen are raw water cooled. And I have never seen one that has the capacity of the OTR units.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Quote Originally Posted by Mabruteam View Post
    The question is why they don't install ultra compact inverter
    belly AIR CONDITIONING units? 24V directly from a nice lithium battery bank, this way the alternator can keep up with the load at cruising, less belts and systems to go wrong, conform air Cond idle law, no noise, solar, generator by charging the batteries the same way we do on boats..
    What's the manufacturer and model?

I've only seen one coach with DC powered air conditioners. They were 48VDC roof air units. The problem with DC powered is the huge current demands. A much gem higher voltage is needed. My new home unit has a 400V DC fan motor.

I'd like to see a mini-split with a ducted or floor standing indoor unit that it's 120VAC powered. I've looked at every manufacturer that I can find and none offer one.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I concur with the OTR A/C as our liberty is so equipped. Cool as a cucumber going down the super slab! Only draw backs are it does affect your MPG slightly,it is rather noisy when parked with the RPM elevated and if you happen to hit a patch of road that is unpaved it creates an enormous cloud of dust. We have an unpaved portion of road leading up to our getaway property and we shut off the OTR for the last mile to to avoid a dust storm. Aside from that you learn to live with the tiny draw backs. The loss of primarily 2 bays is not even worth mentioning in our situation.
    1995 Liberty XL
    Chris & Sara Jo Behrens

Gil, I am not sure what you have in mind, but you might look at some of the new VRF systems. While the evaporator units were initially very small, they are making larger and more substantial evaporators with a fair amount of static pressure to push duct work every day. I don't see why you couldn't adapt one of these to a vertical orientation (if they dont already have one). It might take some case work or making your own case.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Jon, Do you have a ballpark figure on how many pounds of refrigerant an OTR system requires?

I have a 1994 Marathon (#0280) with both Cruiseair and OTR.

Thanks,

Ben

Default 24v air conditioning

RV air conditioning is a mystery to me, after 40 years designing units for the marine industry I found all the bay units to be far from efficient, the roof top are also far from efficient, Why not go for variable speed dual inverter 24v compressors, they are quiet, compact low profile and efficient. All that coupled with a lithium Po4 battery bank, will simplify the complete setup. I started already and I will be testing on my old new to me XL45 Marathon.