Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron Butt Eric Rides Again

Eric, Eric, Eric, be safe, have fun, ect.ect. What about Deb?? She gets left behind to look out for things on the home front. You know, clean the house, feed the teenager, wash the dishes, ect. ect.
    Not only that, Eric more than likely left her a list of work to do on the bus while he's away. Wash the bus, change the oil, clean out the bays and don't forget to polish the slack adjusters.

Mel,

That was way harsh, but right on the money.

I hope Eric has a fun time. I know this is a short jaunt to prep him for his month long trip across Canada in a little while.

While he is gone I will teach Deb how to drive the bus, off road of course. After all it is four wheel drive. She already has polished the slack adjusters, and that is no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Mel,

While he is gone I will teach Deb how to drive the bus, off road of course. After all it is four wheel drive. She already has polished the slack adjusters, and that is no joke.
    Eric is back home as of Friday night 9:15. Bus is polished. Slack adjusters beautiful. Dinner tasty. Everything just as I instructed prior to departure. Deb sitting next to me watching me type this and just punched my arm. Everyone of you who knows us already know that she takes care of everything anyway, so my temporary departures do not disrupt anything that happens at our house (except the dogs wonder where their boss went, and they begin to fight since Deb doesn't rank in their minds).

I thank each of you for such nice comments. You are all kind, and I really do appreciate.

My two week trip to Utah only lasted a week. My riding buddy told me we would not be riding "Iron Butt Style." Well, it wasn't Iron Butt Style, but not too far off. We did 3600 miles in 6+ not quite full days of riding. I hate to think what we would have done if we'd been riding Iron Butt Style. Might have been a 3.5 day trip. It was a shake down run for trip to Canada starting 6/4/09 through whenever (guessing a month or so). First destination is Goose Bay on east end of Canada, then out to Inuvik, NWT and Prudhoe Bay, AK. That's the plan.

Two years ago, my riding buddy (Harold Brooks from Forest, VA) rode his Suzuki V-Strom 650 from Prudhoe Bay, AK to Tiera Del Fuego (not sure spelling), South America. Age 67 then, and he did it solo. Has competed in 7 Iron Butt Rallies (Google Search that - 11,000 miles in 11 days). I've done 2 of these Rallies. Harold has ridden over 1,000,000 miles on Honda Goldwings, in addition to all his other riding on other bikes. I'm a lightweight in comparison. I tell you all a little about Harold so I can appear more sane to my fellow POG members.

He's taking it easy on me so far, I think, since I pay half the hotel bills. Utah was our warm up for big Canada trip and I guess he has concluded that I'm suitable as a riding companion for him across Canada.

More than you can know, I appreciate the comments and well wishes. Thanks to each of you.

Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN

dalej Guest

Eric,

Glad you had a good and safe trip and are back home without incident.

ps.... can you post your top speed?

Quote Originally Posted by dalej View Post
    Eric,

ps.... can you post your top speed?
    Probably 80 indicated, and only for passing. Speedo on Japanese bikes well known for inaccurate on high side. So probably about 75 mph, and that's not a joke. Most of the time we rode the speed limit, or maybe five over.

When I rode the 48 States (in 1996) in 7 days, 3 hours, 48 minutes, I averaged 51.47 mph including sleep for seven days in a row. Top speed then was higher than this recent Utah trip.

I don't ride fast anymore. I ride almost like I drive my bus, but I miss the bed in back when I get tired.

Eric

dalej Guest

That's good to hear Eric.

The bed in the back at night and fresh coffee in the morning to drive by, can't beat it.

When Jan and I are on bike trips, the breakfast stops are the highlight, we love eggs, toast, hashbrowns and coffee Always try to find a mom & pop kind of place.
    Last edited by dalej; 05-16-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Welcome back. Good to hear things went well.

Can we expect to see some pictures?

Eric,

I'm glad you had a safe trip. I suppose you had to get back in a hurry so Deb can get the bike serviced before you leave for the big one.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Thumbs up Welcome Back Eric

Ditto what Jon said!!!!!

JIM

Eric,

Welcome back!! Glad to hear that you had a safe and "uneventful" trip.

Sure sounds like you're having fun. Did you catch any of that bad weather that was rolling through??