Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Balance Masters vs Centramatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Fascinating, except there is not a single way I could find to locate a dealer or order the stuff, nor could I find any pricing.
    Did I read it right that 70 ounces is required for 315 size tires? That's more than 1/2 gallon.
    Jon, I think the product you saw that needed 70 ozs to work with our tires was for a different purpose ? KTB Tire Sealant

I think the KTB Liquid Tire Balance product at the top of the page stated it only needed 1 Bottle (32ozs) per tire for 22.5" rims? SORRY Dale posted faster than I could.

Gary S.

How much??????????????

Brian, thanks for the info, I have Smart Tire installed on the coach and toad, and was leary of the Equal fouling up the sensors.

Dale, thanks. You obviously have had no problem with the interaction of the liquid and your Smart Tire sensors.

Larry, I installed the tire sensors at the same time I installed the liquid balancer, and I have not had a problem.

Jon, The balancer is $25 for a 32 oz bottle.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Off topic - I am having way too much fun learning about all this - great stuff!!! Jennifer is positive I have gone off the deep end

Default Tire balancers

This has been very interesting to me since I have a slight vibration at 64 mph and I had my tires balanced using lead weights. All this is new to me. Will one of you knowledgeable fellows explain more how the different systems work ane the cost of each. Any info will be appreciated. Bill C

Bill,

I'm no expert on the subject, but I can start by giving you a little about some of the different balance methods.

Wheel Weights- Probably the cheapest of all in the short-run, and they work well as long as they are done right and stay in place. Jim Keller has noticed/proven that the tires on our buses are subject to slipping around the rim during hard braking. When this happens, the lead weights are no longer effective. If you lose one, they are no longer effective.

Balance Masters/Centramatic rings: These are the most expensive to install, but can be moved to other buses you might own. The best price I have been quoted was $192 for a pair. It will take 3 pair for all three axles. They mount behind the wheel and mercury travels inside the ring to maintain balance with the Balance Masters. On the Centramatics, shot sized balancing weights are inside the balancing tube lubricated by a synthetic moly oil. http://www.balancemasters.com/howtheywork.html or www.centramatic.com

Equal Tire Balancer: Polymer granules that rotate inside the tires and balance the tires. Probably the cheapest of the balancing techniques other than lead weights. Normally installed by dropping the bag of granules inside the tire during mounting. May also be injected through the valve stem by the installer for about $6 per tire (requires special equipment). Been on the market for many years and used successful by many customers. Equal has been known to clot in isolated instances if moisture gets in the tire. Also may impact the operation of tire sensors by stopping up the valve stem. Cost is usualy significantly less than $25 per tire. http://www.imiproducts.com/equal/tire-balancer.aspx

Tech Plus: Works the same way Equal does, but it is small balls instead of granules. Comes with filtered valve stems to prevent clogging valve stems and hindering tire monitor operation. My local shop charges $25 per tire. Must be installed when mounting the tire. Cannot be injected through the valve stem. Not supposed to clog/clot because of moisture.

KTB Liquid: A liquid that balances the tire as it rotates and eliminates/prevents rust on rims. Can be injected through the valve stem by the customer with a tube that comes with the product. Does not hinder operation of tire monitors. Takes a quart for a 22.5 inch wheel. Cost is $25 per wheel. www.ktbproducts.com

There are other similar products that do the same as the ones above. The only experience I have is with the KTB liquid.
    Last edited by dale farley; 05-10-2009 at 11:03 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Default Its Diploma time of year

A Plus Dale,

you did an outstanding job of explaning it. Even I understand it.

Good Job.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I agree that should be in the articles

Default Dale's Article

Dale's contribution to the articles section can be found here:

http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/pu...ntype=Articles

Thanks Dale and thank you Jor for the suggestion.