Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Balance Masters vs Centramatic

Default Balance Masters vs Centramatic

This likely falls into the category of the old 'Ford vs Chev' debate but, is there a consensuses on which product is better, Centramatic or Balance Masters?

Thanks,

I think the answers are going to have to be considered opinions because I doubt if anyone has ever run side by side tests and actually been able to document the results.

I think one relies upon a number of balls which are free to position themselves around the perimeter of the product, the other using a heavy substance like Mercury to accomplish the same thing.

If I were to want to buy a set I would probably lean towards the one with mrecury since it seems to be able to work without abrading the inside of the race as the balls will do, and because it will go about its job silently.

There are other alternatives much less expensive.

Jon, what are the 'alternatives' ?

There are products such as Equal which are added to the inside of a tire. The economics are simple. A set of balancers costs about $180. Equal or its equivalent costs about $10 per tire or $20 per set.

You would have to go through nine sets of tires before you broke even if you opted to use the balancers.

The complaint about products like Equal is they get in the valve stem and then the tire leaks air. The valves with mesh screens are supplied with Equal. The mesh screens work and I have used Equal for about 15 years with no issues. But there are alternatives to Equal. Some use balls that stay inside the tire and have no impact on the valves. An internet search should turn up all the alternatives.

The last option is the lead weights. I have used them and within a few thousand miles my tires were out of balance. Jim Keller posted that he was shown that his tires actually spin on the wheel so the use of lead weights is negated with one hard stop. He posted that on the forum. If interested do a search to read his experience.

I have the Balance Masters thanks to Brian and they are smoooooottthhhhh!

Thanks Jon, I have read about Equal and have also heard comments as to caking, [back to the N2 in the tires debate]and also, harming tire monitor systems. Glad you have had good results.

Tom, thanks for the reply.

Larry, I did a fair amount of research before deciding on the Balance Masters for Tom's bus. Would buy them again in a minute. Fixed weights essentially balance at one speed and only if the tires don't slip on the rims. Centramatics are more popular than BM's mainly because they have been around much longer and are popular with the truckers. I didn't like Equal because of the valve leak possibilities and because it isn't recommended for use with valve stem tire monitors. Would think the internal ball option might be worth investigating if there is a significant cost savings. Decisions, decisions, what's a girl to do????

Larry,

You may want to look at this product. http://ktbproducts.com/_wsn/page3.html It is a liquid balancer, and does not bother valves or tire pressure monitors. I have been running it in my steers for a year now, and everything seems fine. You can add this through the valve stem without having to remove the tires.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Fascinating, except there is not a single way I could find to locate a dealer or order the stuff, nor could I find any pricing.

Did I read it right that 70 ounces is required for 315 size tires? That's more than 1/2 gallon.

Jon,

It comes straight from the manufacturer. Under "Contact Information"

William (Bill) Brunelli: 813-843-7420
    President/Owner
    Brian/Dennis: 888-818-2803
    Fax: 813-891-6136

I talked directly to Bill Brunelli. My 315 tires require a 32 oz bottle in each one. You may be looking at the Tire Sealer? There are 3 different products advertised on the page.
    Last edited by dale farley; 05-09-2009 at 12:38 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!