Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Storage Needed / Ideas ?

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Roof Storage Needed / Ideas ?

I bought a stand up Jet Ski for myself that fits just perfect in the front bay and with a beach dolly I can shove it around by meself and launch it without a toad which we never tow. Now I need something for Stefanny and she likes a Kayak but that won't fit in the bay. The one's we are looking at are about 14-16 feet long. I'm thinking roof storage for that as I think it is narrow enough to go between the roof A/C's and the side of the bus. My first thought is to use sheet metal screws to fasten a hard roof rack up there to rachet and/or bungee it to. I know the roof thickness is pretty thin so I may need to use some adhesive for good measure on the rack along with the screws (silconed of course) to keep from saying "Ooops, where did it go" when we stop.

Has anyone got anything like this (photos would be great) or have any of you thought of doing it and vetoed it after all things considered ? To get to it, I have a telescoping ladder. Roof storage and a ladder around back alwasys something I thought would be useful if it didn't coble up the look of the bus.

Suggestions ?

My unsolicited advice: don't do it. We recently were on I-40 in AZ early December and saw two 18 wheelers blown over. We have pictures of another vehicle - a Hummer, H1, pulling a trailer and blown over right in front of us on the interstate at a rest - stop. On that trip, our right rear window awning snapped off the locking hook and opened and we had to pull over, wait to see if the wind would die (it didn't) and then had to pull in that rest stop (about 5 pm), and wait until morning.

West Texas in summer along I-10 presents almost the same hazard. In my opinion you will lose your Kayak, it will act as a sail, and you will likely suffer roof damage when it comes off. Just my opinion, for what it may be worth.

Telling Jeff not to do anything is an exercise in futility.

Jeff, do you want advice or confirmation on something you are going to do. We really want to keep you out of trouble, but it is hard.

Ken is on the money. Even if the added height did not blow your bus over, anything not permanently secured to the roof could become a missle.

Question How Long Is It Anyway

Jeff,if the kyak length fits within the width of the bus, you could make or have made a rack to hold it supported in the tow receiver similar to a "Bike Rack".

If it's a little longer have the rack hold it diagonally across the back end. Bottom corner to top corner.

Will it be a light weight polyethylene type?

You could call it a "Kyak Rack"

Find out what 0533 does he is a big Kyaker.

JIM
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 05-08-2009 at 07:21 AM.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Jim-

The Kyak's I'm looking at are 12' and above.

Here's a link to to show how low profile they are. It's not like a wind surfer and if mounted upside down and ratchet straped down, the wind would mostly push it down or so it seems. I can be rachet strapped to the rack. The main concern would be if the rack is going to break loose. If there are stringers going across the roof and you anchored into those it might give maximum strength.

I could get her an 8 footer to fuss about with and make sure she is going to keep using it before getting a long, expensive composiite one I guess. Does anyone have a nice one they want to sell ?

Here's a link to show the profile of the ones I'm thinking.

http://www.neckykayaks.com/kayaks/to...omposite.shtml

Hello jeff,

Boy Jon is tuff on you today, he must have been thinking about me when he referred to you.

On our bus we have an observatory that was made at the time of manufacturer by Marathon, it is quite an operation to construct and secure a platform on the roof that is waterproof, sturdy has good access and is safe enough to walk on without too much liability. Mine was for viewing the races and general entertainment. It was a real undertaking and rather involved engineering event to deal with all of the structural issues. We have no roof air's an therefore have lots of room for this feature, actually 12X7'. I would not attempt this without some careful engineering, you can take a long look at mine if you like for reference if you plan to move ahead.

Pam and I also Kayak and bring along two (13.6' Eddylines made in the USA , last kayak to be made in the USA in Seattle washington, great composite actually Polycarbonate) we stow them on our toad when traveling, as you will soon find that anything 13.6' even light items are difficult to manage.

We have also considered creating a way that we can place our Kayaks on our roof when we are not bringing our toad alone on shorter trips to interesting water based locations. We have ruled it out for a few reasons.

It is a long way up to the top of the roof, almost 13', 2 issues are at play, one you will require some type of winch, even though the kayaks are less than 40lbs they are awkward and will require an assist to get them up to the roof. the other issue is damage to the bus, one or two mistakes could really ding the old bus, after time make a mess. If you have ever owned a larger boat with dingy you would know what the pitfalls can be. i would avoid this idea.

We have considered a platform on the back of the bus, that could be attached to the existing hitch that could double as a platform for toys, bikes, motorcycles, and our Kayaks at an angle toward the roof, with built in racks vertical to the back of the bus, so the kayaks end up at a 30º or more angle to the bus and slightly over the top, but lower than your sat or air conditioners with room for other toys. Just a thought.
    Last edited by 0533; 05-08-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Bruce,

We are trying to protect Jeff from himself.

Remember, he is the guy that wants to hang a gasoline powered generator from his bumper (and undoubtedly carry gasoline in the bay) and connect directly to his electric panel. He wants to hang a big tank from the same bumper and run his bus on vegetable oil. These are just two examples of things he wants to do.

Jeff is a forward thinker and is not the least bit swayed by advice trying to help save him from himself.

I once owned a Pinto, hung my gas tank on the bumper, made it through alright, almost alright anyway.

It those sudden stops that will get you.

jelmore Guest

Jeff, tow something. It will change your life.

Jeff,

Low profile is not the issue at all. A wing section has a low horizontal profile too. Ask any of the pilots here what can happen. Don't do it. But if you do anyway, perhaps we can run a pool.