Quote Originally Posted by flyu2there View Post
As long as folks are talking about San Luis Obispo thought that I would mention that 12 miles South on the 101 is Pismo Beach which is probably the best place to stay while in the area. I would probably advise Pismo Coast Village which is quite nice although during the high season (now) they tend to be a bit proud of the place. Morro Bay, to the West of SLO, is charming but tends to be cold and foggy and the RV facilities are well populated with x school busses, macrame curtains, unkept beards and people smoking funny smelling cigarettes...not that any of that is all bad

Eateries...... First of all, this area is famous for clams...don't bother, they were fished out years ago and everything either comes in frozen from Washington State or in cans from Taiwan. Try McLintocks in AG (Arroyo Grande), full menu, there are other McLintoks are very good but they are on the tourista route and not only offer higher prices but poorer menus and service...you will not be disappointed. Then there is Jocko's Steak House in Nipomo, about 10 miles South of PB....if your into huge steaks with baked potatoes slathered up with all of the fixins, this is your place. PB is loaded with restaurants as well, Moe's Barbacue is one of my personal favorites and an easy walk from Pismo Coast. Breakfast, hands down either Margies (just off the 101) on the road to Morro Bay) or the Spirit of San Luis at, yes believe it, the SLO airport.

Must See....Sunset from the second floor bar at the Sea Venture Resort in PB. Don't be surprised in here, I have run into Ernest Borgnine, Jethro Bodine (Max Baer), Sally Field and several others...popular spot and a great Tapa Grill. Bubblegum wall in SLO, kind of disgusting but worth the look. The Morros, volcanic cones believe there are five in toto, the largest being in Morro Bay. Avila Beach, half way between PB and SLO with a cutsie little overpriced "public" campground...however the views are to die for! Avoid the temptation to eat at the restaurant on the pier, rather try Fat Cats just prior.

No, I don't work for the chamber of commerce and I apoligize if this was too verbose however I do speak from experience as I have lived the last 11 years in the area. My past life included growing grapes in Napa Valley and I can proffer advice on that one as well but that will be b request only.

John
Have eaten at McClintocks and Moe's in PB. Big Sky in SLO is very good for a "California" lunch and Taco Temple in Morro Bay is my favorite so far in the area. Mexican / seafood fusion with huge portions. Building is some type of old fast food joint in a parking lot, but not to be missed.

Will check out the park you are talking about in PB John - thanks for the reference.