Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Towing in California

Quote Originally Posted by flyu2there View Post
    As the parent of a highway patrolman in California, I have been informed that the over length law is enforced however, they will only stop an measure if there has been another infraction, unless it is blatently obvious. Speeding is really what they are looking for, remember California has a 55 mph maximum speed limit on any vehicle towing anything; they tag at 60. The I-10 corridor from the AZ border to the Banning Pass has to be one of the fastest driven highways in the country and as such it is heavily patrolled. Lots of people get tagged on that highway but I would wager that when it comes to the over length thing, they only received that after receiving a speeding ticket.

California is stopping vehicles with Montana plates, and you will really get their attention if you have Montana plates and California plates on the toad. Also remember there are a number of roads in California where the length is limited, Highway 1 comes to mind, that will earn a citation. Prudent to review the laws on the DMV web site.
    I can understand why they might question Calif plates on one vehicle and Montana on the other, but why would they stop someone just because they have Montana plates on both vehicles? Would that not be profiling? I am aware of the ramifications of being a resident of Calif and licensing out of Montana, but if both vehicles are licensed, then what would be their reason? I suppose you could argue that there is always something they can get you to stop for and of course then they automatically ask for Lic & registration.

The first time we became aware CA was targetting folks whose bus tags did not match the toad tags was in 1991. A Prevost owner registered his coach in NV at the time to avoid some CA sales tax. He told us this at a FMCA convention.

His driver license, residence, and toad were all bearing the same address. He was found guilty of tax evasion and had to pay the sales tax he avoided (actually evaded is the correct word) plus a fine or penalty of $75,000.

I have no clue if they are as agressive, but almost 18 years ago they were actually seeking folks who were doing that. If a Montana LLC owns the coach that is far different however than the person owning it as an individual and using a PO Box address in Montana. Look at the semis that have a license plate on the trailer that doesn't match the state painted on the side of the truck or trailer.

Smile Prevost and Mini Cooper

Poggers,

I am about to change my tow from a 2003 Grand Cherokee to a 2009 Mini Cooper with manual transmission.

I am ASSUMING that with the manual shift I will have no issues and just tow with it in neutral and the key with the steering wheel free. Is this a valid assumption?

I am also going to Blue Ox on the Mini. If anyone needs a tow: 2003 Grand Cherokee with all the Trailmaster stuff already on and the All Terrain tow bar, you might want to call my cell...949-300-0077. This set up has the tow bar on the tow and not the Prevost. The price will be right. I am very flexible of the timing of the tow. I could bring to OKC with all the stuff and we could transfer there.

Thanks

I would simply move to Florida, no one gives sh.. how fast you drive, how long you are or how many different plates are on the vehicles.

I am amazed at how CA has become a police state or you would think so by all of these posts.

I drive 75 on Florida Turnpikes all day long, state police pass me doing 85 and never blink an eye, could care less.

I could shine them a moon and I am not certain they would care, as they have real work to do that does not include shaking down good citizens when there are plenty of problems to solve.

CA has created more problems in recent years, next plan is to turn San Quentin into a Mall or something.

I used to love CA lived there visit there but would not want to be a citizen today based on what each of you CA folks say.

parksincpp Guest

Regarding your Mini.............

I own a Mini and have read that the on board computer will drain the battery if left parked for as short as three weeks such as at the airport. It wouldn't surprise me if leaving the key on just enough to loosen the steering wheel would do the same. Just a thought.

Cyndie

California is a great state for weather, things to do and see. Come for a visit, bring money, obey the laws, enjoy yourselves and you will go home happy.
    Try it you'll like it!
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

lewpopp Guest

Bruce,

Everyone on the Florida turnpike goes 10 mile over the limit without getting picked up. That adds up to 80 mph. Everyone must be passing you. That is everyone but me.

California is a great State. it just has become way too dysfunctional. Too many people with too many special interests. Politically, its a dieing state.
    Everyone I know wants to stop the clock and barricade the borders.
    The solutions are elusive.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Default Mini Not on the list ?

Mike I know of two people that tow their Mini-Coopers behind their coaches, and they say they have no problems towing them?

However, the Mini is not listed in the 2008 or 2009 FMCA Towables list.

I could not find the MiniCooper on the Blue Ox 2008 Towables list either.

Just food for thought, for what its worth.

Gary S.

Quote Originally Posted by lewpopp View Post
    Bruce,

Everyone on the Florida turnpike goes 10 mile over the limit without getting picked up. That adds up to 80 mph. Everyone must be passing you. That is everyone but me.
    I find that 75 feels just about right with the Toad onboard. The bus seems to get the best milage sounds good, and the speed does not exceed the Toad speed limits by more than 15%, so it is a good middle ground. I do however find myself going 80 when passing sometimes (especially on windy country roads, just kidding) to get out of long strings of tractor trailers, which I seem to attract like flies, all great guys, but I like to be able to see ahead further than the back of some ones rig.