Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Towing in California

Default Towing in California

We plan a trip into California this summer. Here is the question, with our Yukon XL we are over 65' long. If we travel at the speed limit are the CHP going to give us problems? I have heard that the area where it can be a problem is southern CA around I-10. Is that true? We are going to be in the north, and leaving I-5 going toward Reno.

Thank you for your input

Kim,

We spent two weeks in California at Christmas. We are about 66 feet towing the Tahoe. We can in on I-10 to Los Angeles, took the 101 up to San Francisco, the 99 back down to Grapevine, I-5 down to San Diego and I-8 to Yuma. We passed a lot of CHP officers, but didn't have any problems. I never passed anyone with the cruise set to 58 mph. I had one CHP officer come up beside me and sit there for a while, but did not have any issues. I talked with Kevin before the trip and he said the key is not to give them any reason to pull you over. Remember that usage of a cell phone (without a hands free device) is illegal and that could get you in trouble. I would be a little nervous with the longer Yukon XL just because the set up looks so long.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

If I had to guess overlength coaches will be ignored unless the driver provides another excuse to get pulled over.

I have seen long stackers behind coaches and it is unlikely these drivers with 70 or 75 feet of length are being ticketed regularly unless they start doing dumb things like tailgating, speeding, lots of lane changing, etc. At that point their extra length become a bonus for the cop that decided to pull them over. The coach driver's attitude probably comes into play once that happens, and the cop can ignore the length issue, or if provoked require the toad or trailer to be unhitched. In CA, if in doubt, unhitch and have someone follow in the toad. Then at least you can push the speed limit a little.

I am towing my pickup more often now because of circumstances and at 68 feet in length I don't see any cops even giving me a second look. But I'm not driving in CA, nor am I speeding. At my speed of about 62 or 63 I stay in the slow lane and everyone goes by me.

I have never personally known anyone ticketed, but have heard stories. It seems the hot-spot is the I-10 between the AZ border, up to a few miles past Blythe. Evidently (as the story goes), that particular piece of road was funded locally, not federally, and tickets issued there go into local coffers.

If you are concerned either disconnect and drive through this part without a tow, or head over to I-40 or I-8 instead.

Again, I've never had a problem, and I would doubt if you travel near the towing speed limit (55 in CA), that you would not be hassled.

Ray
    Last edited by Ray Davis; 05-07-2009 at 03:32 PM.

I would say make sure your tow lights work and stay under 55 if towing anything in CA.

I did get stopped once in CA for towing over 55, and CHP officer gave me a warning, after I told him I wasn't paying attention because I got a call an hour earlier that the doctors wanted to pull the plug on my mothers ventilator. He knew I wasn't paying attention because he said he followed me for 3 miles before driving up in front of me to get my attention. I figured I was lucky and have since never drive over 55 while in CA.
    GregM

My Opinion, and its only an opinion, the state is out of money. The cities are out of money, everyone is looking for revenue. It would not surprise me if CHP and other law enforcement aren't on their A game. You definately are gambling.
    Any guess as to how much they are bringing in on cell phone tickets?
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I see people all the time still talking on cellphones. Never heard of anyone ticketed. But, I'd agree with you that they are out to raise revenues.

We have a toll road near here, which used to be a invite to really speed. Now I see someone getting a ticket almost every time I travel that road.

Ray

I certainly agree that every state is looking for increased money. From the advice it appears that the key is staying 55 or below.

Thanks to all that replied.

One state, might have ben NJ? just released a report stating that $100,000 had been collected so far in fines for the use of hand-held cell phones while driving.

Looking for income to supplement declining tax revenues?...... absolutely!!

Angry

As the parent of a highway patrolman in California, I have been informed that the over length law is enforced however, they will only stop an measure if there has been another infraction, unless it is blatently obvious. Speeding is really what they are looking for, remember California has a 55 mph maximum speed limit on any vehicle towing anything; they tag at 60. The I-10 corridor from the AZ border to the Banning Pass has to be one of the fastest driven highways in the country and as such it is heavily patrolled. Lots of people get tagged on that highway but I would wager that when it comes to the over length thing, they only received that after receiving a speeding ticket.

California is stopping vehicles with Montana plates, and you will really get their attention if you have Montana plates and California plates on the toad. Also remember there are a number of roads in California where the length is limited, Highway 1 comes to mind, that will earn a citation. Prudent to review the laws on the DMV web site.