Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JW's panel

message deleted
    Last edited by Jon Wehrenberg; 07-29-2006 at 02:59 PM.

Default Finally got to post them

These are the pictures I couldn't post because the dooby on the software was broke.

The one is of Winchester's new instrument panel, and the second is his recently souped up motor installation.

I understand his bling level for POG II will be similar in quality and sophistication.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff, Jim........

Can we dial that photo posting deal back down so we can keep the prolateriate off the board? It's like the kids discovering ice cream stashed in the freezer.

And all this from a Newell wannabe? I think it's past your nap time.

This is only the start Winchester.

Now that they made a web site for dummies I will be unstoppable.

Default Garmin 600

This is actually the new JW panel. Old timer steam gauge guys will just hurl....

I'd be impressed if that panel was installed in N630SU.

That would mean you are hand flying approaches because that set up has no provision for autopilot connections.

But despite all the blather, what exactly does this new technology do that steam gauges don't do?

Situational Awareness

If you can get me lost or disoriented in my steam gauge plane I will concede your point. But make the challenge interesting. If you cannot get me lost a year of groveling would be good.

I guess I would go back to the point, why do you need an HSI? Or a DG instead of a compass. Or VOR instead of the old four course radio range where you had to listen to Morse code and figure out where you were.

All of these were state of the art at some point. No longer. And steam gauges are going the same way or at least on new planes.

And I can get you lost with gauges, but you can also use the gauges to figure out where you are. Maybe. Eventually. Imagine you are IMC and had no idea where you were. Don't know the local VOR frequencies because you don't know where local is. How do you tune that radio to get a bearing? You might use a ADF if you want to listen to the radio long enough for the station to broadcast where they are.

You can get me lost with a GPS and in about 5 seconds I will know where I am, which way I am going and which way I need to be going.

How can that be possible oh great flame snuffer! I'm flying "to" the next VOR cross checking progress with the 2nd VOR by radial, DME to either VOR for distance, enroute chart in lap following the victor airway, in positive control (remember, we're IMC), ADF tuned for cross check (station of my choice) and one squeeze of the PTT switch away from my friendly controller telling me exactly where I'm at in the event of a brain fart.

OK I'll cave in, if I owned another aviating machine and Mrs Truk would take a break from the Bus, a panel like yours would be fantastic! Out with the old and in with the new.. Geez, IMC must really be boring these days with all this new stuff, but remember, ya gotta go back to basics if the magic box takes a crap.

CAVU and squawking 1200....