Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When Lifting the Bus--Always raise the Tag?

Because I forget after a couple days, I was reviewing my CC Users Guide again yesterday, and they reitterate what Prevost says. "The tag should always be down for normal operation, but with the tag up, the coach is able to manage a tighter turn diameter which is a convenient feature in city driving. Also, when driving in icy conditions, raising the axle up will increase the weight on the drive wheels by approximately 9,000 to 11,000 pounds, thus, providing more traction.

I almost always lift my tag when making a 90 degree turn. But as Jon mentioned, it is easy to make a mistake. While in Wyoming last year, I turned into a campground where the entrance made a dip. I removed my tow connection and damaged my mud flap simultaenously. The other disadvantage I see to lifting the tag, is that I easily forget to lower it when in a campground.

Yes, I have a light and an audible tone that tells me it is up! I don't forget to lower it while making turns on the streets, because I never remove my hand from the switch until I have moved it back to the correct position.

While in Marion, NC last month, I raised the tag while making some 90+ degree turns. Ed mentioned that he thought the rear of the bus looked a little low when I came in, but I hadn't noticed this while sitting in the driver's seat. When I parked, I noticed my level system didn't do as it should. Finally, I noticed the noise I was hearing telling me the tag was up.

But, I will still raise the tag when maneuvering sharp turns.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jon I would like to disagree with you on those lifting chains.

When the tag is in the down position there has to be more slack in the chains than the full travel of the tag axle or they would impede its travel in extreme circumstances.

Those lifting chains can only limit the movement of that axle when they are being utilized otherwise it is the shocks that limit full travel just like the steer.

Another example. When in level low if what you suggest is correct those lift chains would become taught before you could get all the way up in the rear and I am sure that is not the case.

If the chains are set correctly there will still be just a slight amount of slack in them with the suspension fully extended.

I still hold my opinion that raising it prior to jacking it is suggested to keep unnecessary strain on the shock eyelets.

I recently had a failed diaphragm in the tag lift actuator. After replacing it I was careful to maintain the original chain tension so that it had a slight amount slack with the tag hanging on the shocks. Additionally, when having mtc done at Prevost Jacksonville and Mira Loma, the tag was lifted before lifting by the frame.

So----IF you raise your tag, does it clear the ground--how much? Mine just basically unloads the weight and will still scuff the tires. It may be off the ground but really hard to tell without having someone try to slide something under the tire.

lonesome george Guest

Default Using ramps to lift.

We are constructing drive on ramps to raise our coach servicing and such, the height of the ramps will be 8" (approach angle 14 degrees) and will be long enough to support the drive and tag axles and separate ramps will be available to roll the steer axle on, I dont't plan on using them this way every time, sometimes front only or rear only.
    My question is should the tag be raised when the coach is being backed on to the ramps?

Side note: Weighted the bus the other day with full fuel and water tanks and this is what we have.
    Steer 13,800# rated @ 16,500
    Drive 20,440# rated @ 20,400 over weight by 40 lbs
    Tag 11,320# rated @ 12,000

Gentlemen,

Your lifting chains may be slack, but mine are tight when the bus is raised on the air bags. Think about this....which would you rather have limit your tag suspension travel...lifitng chains designed to lift and support the tag axle, or the eyelet of a shock absorber? No need to answer. We all know which is correct. That may not be the way the chains on various coaches are adjusted, but it is the way mine are and I am glad. Now the only shocks I can break are the steers.

Larry,

Unless the coach has a very heavy rear when the tag is lifted, given enough time the coach will eventually return to ride height and the tag will be a few inches off the ground.

That is dependent on the tag lift diaphraghms being in leak free, and the ability of four air bags to lift what six usually do.

Those shock pins are like $48.00 apiece, I just bought some to put the extra shocks on the front. I put the medium shock for an XL on, the previous owner put the white XLV transist shocks on. I have never been able to lift the front high enough to get Jon's 13" stands under, just shy of 1/2" to do so. So I think the stiffer white shocks have a shorter travel length.

A few years back I was trying to get into Hill AFB and they had a real strange design to the terrorist blockage, I couldn't make the turns. They opened a spot for me to turn arounds in and I lifted the tags to make the turn to get out, they weren't letting me in.. About 2 miles later I realized I still had tags up so I let them down while moving, . As it was I was close to my daughters house and they came out to see us drive in. As I got out of the bus she said a big bolt fell off the bus. Out in the street there was a big bolt about 6-8 inches long in the street. I had busted the threaded bolt off the lifting bellows, both side. So I do know you want to watch your speed while droping the tags while moving`

GregM

Seems I recall CC Motorhomes, and probably many others, have a design on the tag that would lower the tag at some very slow [20 mph] speed if the driver had forgotten to do so and exceeded that speed as the coach started to accelerate

Hey Mel, the famous A-1 got you on this one!

IMG_1351_1.JPG
    I think you would call these Lime Green supporting Ms Truk!

Mel "0"
    Jon "1"

I owe you one Truk.