Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When Lifting the Bus--Always raise the Tag?

Default When Lifting the Bus--Always raise the Tag?

My Converter supplied "User's Guide" manual states in a 'Caution' note that " to prevent damage to the suspension, always raise the tag axle before lifting the coach". There is another 'caution' note that states, "Never raise the tag axle while the coach is moving".

I am not disputing these cautions-- I am looking for clarification as to just what damage can occur and how does one maneuver in tight areas, do you stop to raise the tag? How about lowering the tag.

I checked the Prevost "Owner's Manual". I states basically the same thing.

As an aside, I have been at my coach when it was raised twice and jacked once, and I don't recall anyone ever raising the tag prior.

My fault I suppose, because I'm just now getting into the manuals

Thanks for the info

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

When your bus was raised was it lifted from the tires or the frame?

Joe, Lifted by the tires, and jacked at the jack points.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

This is purely a guess but we have discovered that the full travel on the steer axle is limited to the maximum extension of the shocks. Folks were experiencing snapping off the eyelets on shocks and so Jon went and removed some and discovered that with the shocks off the axle had even greater travel.

If this is the case on the tag as well, lifting it would eliminate any unnecessary stress on the tag shocks I suppose it would be a safer way to lift too..

I have an older bus and am in no position to speak for Prevo but I can tell you if I ever had a reason to lift the tag and continue to a destination for whatever reason, I would. I personally have not had to but I know others have.

Thanks Joe. I have routinely raised the tag while in motion to maneuver around tight spots where I felt the tag tires might scuff or scrub the tread. I guess I was doing the wrong thing.

Larry, jacking the front of the bus without raising the tag will overload the tag axles. I have raised my tag while moving slowly a lot of times. If the proper procedure is to stop, raise the tag, move the bus, stop and lower the tag, I've been doing it wrong. I think as long as I don't know for sure I'm doing it wrong it will be ok

These buses are not fragile and the precautionary information likely was written because someone was only understanding part of the story.

First, even though I have a 45 foot coach I never raise the tag. I don't care how sharp the turn, I just don't raise the tag. Here's the rest of the story.

I happen to have a coach with the Prevost installed "stabilizators" which automatically deploy hydraulic supports to keep the rear from dropping while simultaneously dumping air from the tag air bags when my steering wheel is turned to the extreme in either direction. It is all automatic. A few of us on this site have the system. Some converters ordered coaches without that system, and others disabled the system. Prevost does not support the system any more. I don't know why because it works great.

When you make a sharp turn the tag tires scuff, and the turn radius is not as sharp as possible. That actually doesn't hurt anything although it does put side loads on the tires and tag axle suspension. So despite the instructions saying not to lift the tag when moving, that is what you should do if you are in a very tight spot. What you need to be aware of is that the rear of the coach is going to drop. You need to determine before you lift the tag if the rear settles is it going to drag or drop down onto something? But lifting the tag at low (walking) speeds does no harm. I would suggest not getting into the habit however because in the uneven ground of some campgrounds lowering the rear of the coach could result in damage, especially to the rear flap, the exhaust, or even the oil pan. When you do things by force of habit you can encounter unintended results.

I view lifting the tag as a "get out of jail free" card. Use that feature if you have misjudged a turn and now you need every bit of help you can get to tighten the coach turn radius to avoid unhitching the toad so you can back up. I would never consider lifting the tag on city streets or other places where making tight turns. Any misjudging of the turn, especially if the drive axle hits or goes over a curb could result in damage because the tail of the bus has dropped.

If the coach is being lifted, it is likely it will be lifted by jacks under the steer and drive axles. I have seen Prevost lift countless coaches this way and have never known anyone at Prevost to raise the tag prior to lifting the coach.

Jon,

I had my 1st visit to Prevost Jax in January and they used a lift that lifted by the jack points and not the tires. I was asked to raise the tag before the bus was lifted.

Na na na na boo boo....

That's a first. I have never seen that. For 19 years all I have ever seen was Prevost using the lime green lifting jacks under the tires to lift the bus.

Now answer the question.........what did lifting the tag accompish? the tag axle limits are not defined by the shocks like the front end, but by the lifting chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    That's a first. I have never seen that. For 19 years all I have ever seen was Prevost using the lime green lifting jacks under the tires to lift the bus.

Now answer the question.........what did lifting the tag accompish? the tag axle limits are not defined by the shocks like the front end, but by the lifting chain.
    This cast a shadow over every single bit of Jon's advice. The lifting jacks at Prevost Texas are yellow, not lime green. Now we have nowhere to turn.