Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AGM Equalization - Some Benefit

Default AGM Equalization - Some Benefit

My house batteries are whimpy, when unplugged, they go to 12.4 almost immediately. With nothing to lose, I equalized them for 3 hrs at 15.5.

Batteries are now at 12.8 when unplugged and still had 12.4 after 7 hours of no shore power with just the fridge and a fan running.

If your batteries are marginal, this may help, but if they're bad, the equalization will have no effect. I equalized my Marathon and it didn't help at all. After removing the 6 batteries, 5 of the 6 were bad.

So, if you have some life left in your house batteries, give it a shot...

Good Information, Tom.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

We have a battery charger that can both "equalize" and "desulfate" but it is vague just what the difference is. According to the owners manual they both preform a similar function.

I desulfate our house batteries annually as a preventive measure, don't know if there is any benefit but I assume so.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 05-06-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Tom, That's not bad considering you have only 3 house batteries. Would think that adding another one at this time might extend the life of the existing batteries significantly. Whad ya think?

Brian - Thought I might make a trip to Battle Ground for a professional installation!

Joe - I think both terms are probably the same thing..

Truk, by your title, do you have AGM house batteries?

It's my understanding that AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries will receive no benefit by the "shaker". This equalization / disulfate charge will have no effect because the agm's have no liquid electrolyte (dry). The flooded or gel batteries are a different design and the disulfate mode "shakes off" the build up on the lead plates and the sulfate falls off the plates. The agm's are very tightly wrapped or matted plates with no electrolyte (liquid), so the equalization / disulfate has no effect. If fact, most three phase chargers mention that equalization may harm the agm battery (maximum charge 14.7v if my memory is correct).

If your voltage drops that rapidly, the batteries may be finished. But keep in mind, after a bulk charge, the batteries need to settle down for a few hours to give you an accurate voltage reading. The normal operating / constant drain parameters for an agm is no more than 1% drop in voltage over a period of one month, if no load or drain.

Darrell,

Here is good information. AGM will benefit from an equalization charge.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...ting%20battery

You do not have to wait long for the "surface" charge to dissipate.

Darrell,

Yes I have AGM's, that was the purpose of the post. I researched this at length and equalization does in fact help. I also was under the impression that equalization was for wet cell only and I was wrong. Gel should not be equalized.

My inverter/charger manual specifically has instructions for equalizing AGM's and the default setting was 4 hours, but I only did 3.

The proof is in the performance.

Many thanks Jon. Great reference material.

Good link Jon,

Truk, I guess I was misguided regarding the abuse of the agm's. I have house agm's and I have also put a red top optima for my starter battery for the genset.
    I like the agm's for the winter storage and the lack of maintenance required.

My house batteries are lifeline and are four years old now. They seem to be performing well with no fast drain down time. Should I be budgeting for new ones after 5 - 6 service years. I've heard stories of agm's performing well for 8 -10 years.......