Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new backup camera for 1998 Marathon

Default Need a new backup camera for 1998 Marathon

My backup camera has stopped working and I need a replacement. The backup camera is in the back closet and shines through a piece of plexiglass in the back wall.

Unfortunately, technology has moved forward and I cannot find an easy replacement.

All the good (i.e., good image quality and low light performance) backup cameras have IR, which does not work in my application because the IR reflects off the plexiglass and effectively blinds the camera at night.

The cameras I have found without IR are low quality with CMOS sensors and thus have very poor low light performance.

The other complication is that the existing wiring is BNC with separate power leads whereas most modern cameras have video and power over the same cable. Adapters are available for some cameras, but not all.

Has anyone else tackled this issue?

Thanks,
    Killeen

Kileen
    I had the same issue, so I put a hole in the plexiglass and used a IR camera.
    GregM

http://www.rearviewsystems.com/
    I have used these people for a few projects and they are very helpful and good pricing!

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Killeen,

Welcome to POG. Save yourself some typing by putting your coach information in as part of your signature. That way you don't have to put 1998 Marathon in each of your post headings. So far I have not had to repair/replace my back-up camera. I am however, working on a couple of other projects right now.

I used this outfit, Tim was very helpful and had adapters to use my older cables. I replaced the plexi port with aluminum sheet and mounted the camera outside.
    http://www.rvcams.com

Will, How is your generator running ? Does it start and run on the first or second try ?

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Jim,

Yes, and that is thanks to you and Miles. Carole and I can't possibly thank you two enough but we will try! Now if I could just figure out why I'm toasting the OTR A/C compressor clutch. It has progressed to a constant state of short cycling so finding the culprit should be easier - that is for someone with knowledge of these systems that is not electrically challenged!

I just replaced ours in our '98 Vantare and was lucky enough to just have to replace the camera..All the existing wiring was in the rear closet.. only took an hour to do. check out this one.. great color.. picture & price ... the old one was a CCD and very distorted. and without the night vision. I was able to use the existing video cable (I did have to buy an RCA adapter for the video cable) and the power supply was in the closet too so a very easy installation. I also put in a new 10" lcd monitor (built into the dash) to replace the old one and with making a new bezel (at the local sign shop) I was able to use the nice burl wood trim that was around the original monitor. check out the link below.. Backing up at night is a breeze.. its very bright and clear. I am very happy with mine. I didn't want to share a screen with the navigation system.. I like to see the toad all the times on a dedicated screen. Total cost with monitor about $250. I got the monitor on Amazon. http://www.rearviewsafety.com/accessories/rvs-771.html. :-)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I finally found a good CCD camera without IR at rvcams.com (the site recommend by jimblu). The camera was easy to install and wire up.

The camera model number is CH-Kit and was about $130 for the camera and wiring adapter. This camera has a 1/4 inch Panasonic sensor, 1 lux sensitivity, and a field of view that is 104 degrees horizontal and 78 degrees vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by jimblu View Post
    I used this outfit, Tim was very helpful and had adapters to use my older cables. I replaced the plexi port with aluminum sheet and mounted the camera outside.
    http://www.rvcams.com
    jimblu, would you please post a picture of your camera installation, for clarification of what you did and how it looks from outside.

Thanks, JIM