Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guest Automatic 5/10 Amp Charger

Here's how I have done the Guest Chargers:

Quest_1.jpg

This charges all 4 batteries as 12v, using the 2 pair cabled in parallel. Is this better than Mango's? Beats me, but there has been issues previously with Marathon and 24 volt chassis chargers, although I don't remember the details.

Quote Originally Posted by 0533 View Post
    Thanks Mike.

They all have inline fuses, should I disconnect the fuse when I wire tie the inner ones together? My guess is get rid of the inline fuse. I will leave the one to the main POS that I connect to the batteries.

Again thanks, I am somewhat surprised that Guest does not offer this diagram on its website for this unit. The manual did not offer this option either. Where did you find the diagram?

Bruce
    I would get rid of the inner fuses, unless someone has a better reason to keep them.

I did the diagram in Adobe Illustrator.

MIke

I installed mine per truk's wiring diagram

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

This is interesting.

I installed the batteries the way Mango said to, joined the Inner POS and NEG to each other (left the 2 fuses in line) There are in fact 3 fuses, 2 POS and one NEG fuses. I could see no harm in leaving them inline, after all if they blow something is wrong.

I tested each set with meter, both as 12V and 24V, all seems good, they were charing, went to RED for a few minutes then to RED & GREEN for the finish charge. The batteries were reading 27.5 on the finish RED/GRN 13.75 on 12V, seems about right.

Tom: You certainly are a game changer with your diagram. I am afraid I do not exactly understand how they would charge as though each was 12V with this connection. Doesn't the first 12V connected to the second battery bank create a 24V setup anyway?? How would each get there 12V charge?? I am no electrical engineer, but can flow directions.

This is your setup? Do you have the same charger??

maybe it works either way. Your setup is one of the options for a 24V setup when there are 2 12V batteries, but I cannot exactly figure out the rest of the charging pathway with your connection.

The directions that Guest provides offers no diagram for 4 battery 24V setup, a bit screwy considering they promote RV's in their literature. guess most RV's are 2 chassis battery setups.

Can anyone else confirm Mike's or Tom's installs for their buses using the Guest 10Amp, 5/5 charger. It appears that both work.

Also Tom mentioned that Marathon was having some issues with their hookups, anyone know about this?

How is it possible to hookup all four batteries as 12V?

Bruce,

Please take the following as constructive. If you have to ask those questions I would urge you to get someone with a basic understanding of electric to hook the charger up to your bus.

The charger is intended for your chassis batteries and they must remain as a 24/12 volt configuration. If you attempt to try to hook up all your batteries as a 12 volt set up you are in effect re-engineering the Prevost chassis.

"on the finish RED/GRN"

On my Guest charger, the finish/float charge is indicated by a single green light.

FWIW, Truk installed mine and it has worked flawlessly for nearly 2 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Here's how I have done the Guest Chargers:

Quest_1.jpg

This charges all 4 batteries as 12v, using the 2 pair cabled in parallel. Is this better than Mango's? Beats me, but there has been issues previously with Marathon and 24 volt chassis chargers, although I don't remember the details.
    Thanks Jon, That is my exact point. I did hook them up as 24V, I am confused by Tom's (Truk's) post and comments. I assume this is another way to make a 24V hookup is all and wanted to get confirmation.

Please read both Tom's and Mikes (Mangos) posts, each has a different way of making the connection. Each has a different approach. I was not asking whether it should be 12 or 24 but rather if it matters which approach.

I used Mango's approach.

I do understand the difference between 12 & 24 volts but wanted to get confirmation before heading off into space.

Bruce
    Last edited by 0533; 05-04-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Bruce,

They are both correct. Truk and Mango took different roads to go the same place.

Mango in essence charges the batteries as a 24 volt set exactly like your bus alternator does, Truk charges two 12 volt sets.

Your battery equalizer sorts out either system balancing the voltages.

Personally I like Mike's method due to the simplicity, but Tom's method is charging the two parallel 12 volt sets and accomplishes the exact same thing. This is a guess because I don't have access to the charger information but I suspect they will produce exactly the same rate of charge so there are no performance considerations which might make one set up more advantageous.

Having said the above if I had the charger installed on my bus (I have a different one installed when the bus was converted) I would never use it as a maintenance charger, but would use it to restore the batteries to full charge only periodically.Doesn't your bus tie your inverters (when used as chargers) into your chassis batteries? And why would you consider a second alternator? It will not make your bus any more reliable, and in fact doubles your chances of an alternator failure?

Spoken like a confirmed single engine pilot Jon. Me too.