Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guest Automatic 5/10 Amp Charger

Default Guest Automatic 5/10 Amp Charger

I am replacing my current charger (non automatic) with a new Guest fully automatic one.

Like everything else I get involved with i thought the install would be a no brainer (I an sure it is for the rest of you) but now I am second guessing the install.

I have 4 brand new chassis batteries and for the sake of a few $$'s I do not want to fry them because I made an install mistake.

Here is what is stalling me out. The old charger has 2 leads that are connected to a negative battery post (different battery) and the other connected to a positive post on another battery in the bank of 4.

The new Guest comes with 4 leads, 2 POS. and 2 NEG. leads.

Question: What batteries do I connect these leads to, does it matter, Should I connect them to separate NEG/POS terminals on any 4 batteries or to both NEG/POS terminals on any to batteries. Check out the diagram from Guest for 24V installs. It seems different than what I had expected.

See Link: http://www.marinco.com/product/10-am...rgepro-charger

This should be very easy but I am reluctant to make the connections without a second opinion.

I am also having difficulty uploading images to the forum today as well, maybe I should not be doing important stuff.
    Last edited by 0533; 05-03-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Default Diagram

Image diagram

We have 4 chassis batteries, this diagram shows the 4 leads 2 POS and 2 NEG connected to 2 batteries 1 NEG and 1 POS connected to 2 batteries. How would this application work for 4 batteries, can I just connect the 4 leads to 1 POS on 1 Battery, 1 NEG on another battery??? repeat the same for the other 2 leads or do I need to attach the pairs POS?NEG to 2 separate batteries??

I hope I am not confusing anyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 0533; 05-03-2009 at 09:51 AM.

Hi Bruce,

I have the same charger.

Here's a diagram I worked hard at to show the hook up.

battery.jpg

The two center wires from the charger just wire nut together, don't bother attaching to batteries.

Mike

Bruce, MangoMikes diagram is exactly what I used to connect my Guest Charger.

It has worked flawlessly, since I got the wiring issue all sorted out. You'll be glad you have this installed in your system.

Be sure the Guest Charger is plugged into a hot plug that runs off of either shore power or Gen set, not just when you turn on a timer. I had to replace my existing 60 minute timer with an on/off switch for the system to function properly, but it has worked great since then.

Gary S.

Warning, stupid newbie question......

What is the purpose of a "guest charger?" Just what it implies - charging other things like your car?

Quote Originally Posted by GDeen View Post
    Warning, stupid newbie question...... What is the purpose of a "guest charger?" Just what it implies - charging other things like your car?
    Gordon there are No Stupid Questions, or believe me I would have taken the prize for asking them several times over.

The Guest Charger keeps the (4) Chassis Batteries charged properly when it is parked. If your plugged into shore power at a park, or running the gen set in an overnight situation dry camping, the chassis batteries are being maintained properly.

Jon, did I answer that correctly?

Gary S.

Thanks Mike.

They all have inline fuses, should I disconnect the fuse when I wire tie the inner ones together? My guess is get rid of the inline fuse. I will leave the one to the main POS that I connect to the batteries.

Again thanks, I am somewhat surprised that Guest does not offer this diagram on its website for this unit. The manual did not offer this option either. Where did you find the diagram?

PS> Gary I do have a timer that will be removed, the A/C power outlet (both Shore/Gen) can be turned on at the dash, I will keep it on at all times to allow it to work when needed. Question: I guess it might come on while running down the road while on the genset as the 270 alternator turns off when the gen side is on while running along, no demand from the house side on Marathon single alternator buses. Interesting solution, could this offset the need for a second alternator??? Jon will know the answer, bet he is out having pizza and Mussels somewhere

PS> Gordon: Even if you turn off the chassis battery 12/24 volt shutoff there are wires from the chassis batteries that go directly to the DDEC, most owners leave the 12/24 on so they can have access to air for leveling?? and all else chassis related. If the coach sits without running for long periods the battery will run down unless you have a charger. The Auto Charger is the best solution (I had a manual timer version)

Bruce
    Last edited by 0533; 05-03-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Gordon, "Guest" is the name of the company that makes the unit Bruce and others have installed.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelorme View Post
    Gordon, "Guest" is the name of the company that makes the unit Bruce and others have installed.

I rest my case....thanks Ted.

Who's a guest, I thought all users on this forum were members?? Who's on first?

My fault, sorry will try and be more specific in the future, doesn't happen often in my case.