Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oval Exhaust Tips for Gen. & Webasto

I removed mine, made a round pipe that comes out under the bus at a 45 to the rear corner. I no longer get any....any black soot on the rear and side door for the radiator. I also have no black soot on the radiator fan, and the best thing is that it will never drag on the ground. The negative is the dust if you drive on dirt roads, I do my best to avoid those!
    The only other negative is one less part to polish!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Jim,

Tomorrow I have some time to photo mine from various angles so you can get a new one fabricated. I have often looked at mine and how close it comes to hitting the ground as I come out of the hill on the driveway and transition to the level of the road. I have tried to determine if I had to remake it how to make the transition from the flat oval to the round of the muffler. If there is some quantity involved to justify the time I could have the folks in the shop use the CAD/CAM and programming to define the shapes and sheet metal sizes and then it is just a matter of TIG welding the exhaust tip together and polishing it. As an alternative its shape can also be a rectangle at the outlet which would greatly simplify the fabrication of the exposed part.

Before the overhang on the 45 foot coaches came to be the 40 foot coaches just used a round pipe, polished where it was exposed and that would work as long as you were aware of steep transitions in the road that would damage the pipe. As an alternative you could go into a 90 degree going forward, then a second 90 just behind your Webasto / Generator exhausts leading into a polished exposed tip which would be far enough forward to minimize damage.
    Yes I would like to see what I no longer have.

Kevin I would like to see yours too

I would like straight out the back, but worry about sooting the Toad, what does anyone think?

You can see what I have left! What do you think of notching the rocker panel and exiting with a 5" round pipe.

JIM
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim I'll get the photos tomorrow.

I would open up a trimmed hole 1" larger in diameter than the pipe and extend a stainless exhaust tip through that in a heartbeat if space permits. I think the toad would have the soot stains you see on trailers if you came straight out the rear. I think Kevin's 45 degree direction would be a better compromise.

Default Here's Mine

Jim, Here is what mine look like, I'm not real happy with their looks, I would like them to look a little more uniform. I don't have a problem with them exiting out the back, but I'll tackle that as soon as I get all the other stuff done.

Thanks for jumping right on that Elliott, I am looking for the 5" series 60 exhaust and the way it exits the bus.

JIM

I don't know where my head is today............if anyone finds it let me know

Here is our exhaust, typical Marathon.

Jim,

This is what I presume your exhaust tip looked like. No way to make exhaust exit from the rocker panel.

Other converters may have had a different approach to going from the 5" diameter to an oval.

Thanks Jon, that gives me something to go by, oh by the way did you see those two wrenches in your first photo, were they missing or what

It seems your muffler is angled down at the rear, whereas mine is level and higher up.

I think my tip let go because of the weld between the steel pipe and the SS tip not banging and dragging, looks kinda rusty and week there.

I will get a price from Stainless Works an exhaust specialty house near here, first chance I get.

I will make the piece from muffler to the end SS.

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/index.php

JIM

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Kevin, what are the chances of you posting pics of your round exhaust tip? I like the way it sounds, especially since I equipped my shop with am exhaust ( hose to fit a round tip) to the exterior so I could allow the engine to run while inside the shop. Then.......I bought a coach with a series 60 engine that has an oblong exhaust tip, so I have an exhaust hose setup that I can't use. I know it is a pain to post a pic, but if you could, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Pete, I have to be honest, I can't post pictures! I took a few this morning and sent them to Ray Davis. I guess he isn't on his computer but I am sure he will post them when he gets some time. I am very happy with the way the pipe turned out and works. I would guess I have 6000 miles of road testing, all is good!