Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Enclosed Storage Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan__ View Post
    Gordon -

Would you turn the A/C off in your house in Texas? Don't think so. Same for heat when it turns winter.

Obviously a stupid question - thanks.

Gordon,

There is no substitute for having an enclosed storage building with 50 amp power. You can get by with less, but to fully protect your investment and to enable you to operate all systems as needed you need more than a 15 or 20 amp 120 Volt receptacle.

First, almost all our buses (with the possible exception of Thompson Coaches) will trip a 15 or 20 amp GFCI circuit. Depending on weather conditions you may wish to run your AC or heaters in addition to maintaining the batteries.

Additionally make life easy for yourself. Have plenty of power and space around the coach so you can comfortably move around it, get in the bays, load it, air up the tires, wash or wax it, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Gordon,

There is no substitute for having an enclosed storage building with 50 amp power. You can get by with less, but to fully protect your investment and to enable you to operate all systems as needed you need more than a 15 or 20 amp 120 Volt receptacle.

First, almost all our buses (with the possible exception of Thompson Coaches) will trip a 15 or 20 amp GFCI circuit. Depending on weather conditions you may wish to run your AC or heaters in addition to maintaining the batteries.

Additionally make life easy for yourself. Have plenty of power and space around the coach so you can comfortably move around it, get in the bays, load it, air up the tires, wash or wax it, etc.
    Checking out some of those guys working on their planes in the hangar space last week at the airport really brought that home Jon. One of the guys was building a kit plane made of composites - pressurized and 300knts Main point is they had lots of room and everything they needed right at hand. Brent Warrington (Meandmypre) has a really nice warehouse for his bus which provides all of what you are talking about.

If nothing shakes out this weekend, I think I will begin negotiating with the fellow who has offered to build me one. Should be able to get exactly what I want. Thanks.

If there is any way possible try to house your coach next to your house.

Ours is 50 feet away from the house and there is no way to express how valuable that is. I am in the bus garage daily. Anytime my wife or I want something from the bus, or want to do some work on the bus or even load for a trip it is a few steps away.

We can check on power, make sure it is safe and secure, or just go out and fondle it. If it was further away losing the ability to insure everything is OK would drive us nuts.

Roger has the best deal of all. It is in his basement.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I park outside and that includes Chicago winters. We have an older bus than most and I can appreciate the reluctance of others wanting to do that.

With that said if I had a spot to park inside but not at home instead of outside like we have now I choose outside at home. Don't even have to think twice.

It would take 2 or 3 times longer to get anything done.

No can do unfortunately because we live behind a security gate with a tight radius decorative fountain in front. I won't even be able to get the coach through that to my house. Probably could make it with some serious pruning of trees and shrubs, but the neighbors aren't likely to go for that just so I can bring a bus onto the street. Good news is there is an excellent area to park just outside the gate adjacent to a friends property for loading and unloading.
    Last edited by GDeen; 05-01-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: sp

Gordon,

To answer your question I do not normally keep the A/C on, although I do have 50A power, should I want/need to.

It's generally very cool in the hangar, and I haven't had a problem. I'm sure there are other areas that would be a concern.

I did store for several months out at Lake Havasu AZ, but it was in the cooler months. Unfortunately, they only had 15A circuit, so I could only keep my fridge going there.

Ray

My only thought about leaving an A/C on during the hotter months in Texas, is the water or condensation that will pool beneath the bus in your nice new barn. And believe me there will be large puddles after a weeks stay on the floor of your barn under the bus, and when it starts running to the adjacent barns your neighbors may not like that?

I have not left the A/C's on during the first year in our storage barn, because of that. I had them install 50 amp service, just so I would have the proper power and everything has worked out great, other than my slide problems, but that is in another thread.

Gordon you will need at least a 14' x 14' x 50' accessible barn, so if he is willing to build that, tell him you will come ( I mean rent it from him) !

Gary S.

I was able to come up with several options around the airport before I was able to get all my crap in one place.

photo[1].jpg

I would look over at the old Robert Mueller airport in Austin since they can't keep planes there anymore. Seems like a perfect place for a bus. You can also fit a bus into the corner of a big hanger in a place where you can't get a plane. It makes an otherwise unsable space rentable. Unless you are up against a helicopter. I shared a space with one for a couple of months. You just have to be ultra careful with a giant hulking vehicle in such close space with a bunch of easy to dent, expensive airplanes.

I will check out Mueller - some kind of planned community development going on over there so I don't know about status of old hangars. Main issue is it is across town from me, but worth checking into.

Hoped to find something at the Spicewood airpark about 20 miles west of the house. Talked to the lady this morning who runs the show out there and she said not only no, but ...no. Too many planes to put up and not enough space.

She did get off on a tangent about boys and their toys and how I am not the first to ask. Suggested a purpose built toy storage facility for cigarette boats, motor coaches, girlfriends, etc. with a men only clubhouse to hang out in while out checking on "your toys." Not that I could find anything wrong with her logic....