Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enclosed Storage Ideas?

Question Enclosed Storage Ideas?

I see many of you store in hangars and others in purpose built barns. I have an email out to the person who runs a small airport about 30 minutes away enquiring about empty hangar space. Have also checked with most of the storage facilities in my area, but none of them have big enough space.

Any other suggestions on the best way to find storage for one of these things or places to look?

Quote Originally Posted by GDeen View Post
    I see many of you store in hangars and others in purpose built barns. I have an email out to the person who runs a small airport about 30 minutes away enquiring about empty hangar space. Have also checked with most of the storage facilities in my area, but none of them have big enough space.

Any other suggestions on the best way to find storage for one of these things or places to look?
    Suggest you look around in your area a bit more closely, and particularly along the major highways outside of town, where access roads parallel to the highways are. In the San Antonio area there are quite a few storage facilities that cater almost exclusively to motorhomes, trailers, and larger boats. There are a number of such places that offer 12X45' and 14X50' enclosed storage areas WITH a 10 or 15 amp 120vac inside outlet, with an overhead light as well, for anywhere from $180-250 a month, month to month.

I have met some of my 'neighbors' over the months, who own from pop-up tent campers and smaller boats up to Prevosts. Can't imagine Austin doesn't have these facilities around as well. I found ours by driving around and spotting outside storage areas next to enclosed storage areas. Stop in a storage facility that has the smaller spaces and ask where the big storage area businesses are. They should be forthcoming with the information if they know, because they are not competing.

Good luck.

I'll bet you that Marathon Dallas would have some suggestions?

Ray

Gordon, if you are unable to find a facility with enclosed storage, this outfit seems to have carport type RV storage. At least you would be getting her out of the sun.
    http://www.michenerselfstorage.com/Auto_Storage.html

I have to use a RV cover, PITA, but it keeps the pollen and fir needles off of it.
    GregM

Good suggestions all - thanks.

Ken, I have done exacty what you have suggested on both accounts. We live out in the Lake Travis area and there are lots of out buildings in the lake area. I have spent some time driving around checking them out. Also know a guy personally in the storage business and he gave me some leads which I have chased down to no avail. I am also trying to stay on my side of town for convenience.

One storage lot about 10 miles out hwy 71 from the house has carport storage which would work temporarily, and the guy has offered to build me an enclosed building to spec for lease. He is quoting $300/mo which doesn't sound too bad particularly given the convenience. He also gave me leads on a couple of empty warehouses in the area I will check into.

Electricity requirements - excellent point - what type of power service do I need just to keep the batteries tended and the coach at reasonable temperature? 1 A/C on?

standard 15A service will handle keeping your batteries charged, and allow you to keep the fridge running.

If you're planning on keeping an A/C on, I would go with a minimum 30A service. If you are having service installed, pay for the 50A, it's worth it.

Ray

Gordon -

I have mine stored at Lake Travis Boat and RV on 71. Had it built to spec with 50 amp service. Great manager, lives on-site and his upper deck on his house is 100 yards from my bus barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan__ View Post
    Gordon -

I have mine stored at Lake Travis Boat and RV on 71. Had it built to spec with 50 amp service. Great manager, lives on-site and his upper deck on his house is 100 yards from my bus barn.
    Hey Alan - some local help! Will check it out, thanks.

Ray, do you guys leave A/C on or not worry about it getting too hot?

Gordon -

Would you turn the A/C off in your house in Texas? Don't think so. Same for heat when it turns winter.