Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nicest campground poll

Buckhorn Lake in Kerrville, Texas and Sante Fe Skies in New Mexico are two of our favorites, but I've never seen any that I liked better than our very own Outdoor Resorts here in St. Lucie West, Florida.

Most any of the current Outdoor Resorts are a safe bet, but there are some older campgrounds that are still using the Outdoor Resorts logo (they were originally created by ODR but have since been fully converted to private ownership and management) that can be a challenge to negotiate with a bus as they were designed and built with much smaller RV's in mind at the time.

We also rely on the Big Rigs, Best Bets publication and it has been a very valuable and reliable resource.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelorme View Post
    Gary, we also use the Big-Rigs book and I know that at some point in years past the authors visited each campground. However, several of the campgrounds listed in the directory (ones where we have stopped,) have taken a down turn over the years and should be removed from the listings. The one in Corpus Christy, TX. is half campground half junk yard. There is one up around Memphis that is not much better. I emailed about the condition of these campgrounds several years ago but they are still listed.
    The idea of having our own list of both campgrounds and overnight stopping spots is the way to go.
    We've used Big-Rigs Best Bets with our last coach and they were 3 of 5 for us. Two were kind of run down so it seems that some of the info in their could probably use some updating. Maybe time for BigRigs 10th edition?

We've never actually stayed at an Outdoor Resorts property but will definitely give them a try in the future given the good comments everyone seems to have about them.

Its always interesting finding nice RV Parks. sometimes you are pleasantly surprised when you roll into one without any pre knowledge. But that can be a good thing. Part of the lifestyle is to get out there and explore.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Found one like that in Amarillo at the recommendation of someone here. Right on the main drag off of I40, on the far west side, is a place I think is called the Oasis. Really nice, and as I remember only about $33 per night! Nice big all paved parking.

Take the free limo to the Texas Steakhouse.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by tdelorme View Post
    Gary, we also use the Big-Rigs book and I know that at some point in years past the authors visited each campground. However, several of the campgrounds listed in the directory (ones where we have stopped,) have taken a down turn over the years and should be removed from the listings. The one in Corpus Christy, TX. is half campground half junk yard. There is one up around Memphis that is not much better. I emailed about the condition of these campgrounds several years ago but they are still listed.
    The idea of having our own list of both campgrounds and overnight stopping spots is the way to go.
    Ted I know what you are saying, the campgrounds can and sometimes do go down hill, after someone visits and gives it high marks. That is very depressing to say the least, but I guess it is the nature of things today. But you are correct !

I wonder what Ken's policy is about removing previous campgrounds, from his book?

Gary S.

jelmore Guest

I wonder if they'll put their book online, by subscription. Save some trees, slash their costs and easy to search. Comments by those that visit would be really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jelmore View Post
    I wonder if they'll put their book online, by subscription. Save some trees, slash their costs and easy to search. Comments by those that visit would be really helpful.
    Excellent idea!

Quote Originally Posted by jelmore View Post
    The Big Rigs Directory is not on Line Exactly, however, you can get either the spiral bound book, or the CD version or both.

The CD Version is great, because when you find a place you want to check out, you can click the link in their CD version, and it takes you to the campgrounds own website.

Very nice.

Gary S.

A great resource is www.rvparkreviews.com. This is an online resource where WE get to review parks we have visited and make comments. I use it quite often when trying to find a park in an area that I'm not familiar with.

There are reviews on probably most parks around country, and although not specific to motorhomes or Big Rigs in particular, the advice contained there can at least tell me when to avoid a park.

I use it all the time, along with Big Rigs, but unfortunately, Big Rigs hasn't visited everywhere.

Ray

That is a pretty good site Ray.
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche