Thread: What filters are these?

Default What filters are these?

If you are looking at the engine (8V92) on the left side low and close to the oil pan there are two filters. Mine read "power cool 3000" and "DD3000-16", they sounds like coolant filters. In front of the transmission (ht755cr) right side, agian low there is a large filter that read P23507189. I thought this was a transmission filter but the numbers come up as an empty additive coolant filter also.

Question on the empty coolant additive can filters are they really empty or are there fitlers of some kind in them? If they are empty are they a life time unit?

GregM

dalej Guest

Greg,

My transmission filter is on the left side near the break of the engine/transmission. I have a filter for the coolant on the right side, inline with the air compressor. It sounds like your is a similar setup.

I refer to the left side of the engine as if I were sitting on the transmission facing the engine. The same in most vehicles, bus's engines are set in backwards.

You should check your coolant with a test strip to see where your coolant is. You can just add the amount of Power Cool (from DD) that you need.

It's good to keep an eye on your coolant's condition and not take it for granted, like your tire pressure.

Greg, According the the Prevost Mtc. Manual, the coolant filters should be changed every year or 12K whichever comes first. Additionally the coolant is recommended to be changed every 2 years or 24K if you are not using extended life coolant. While many of us don't change coolant that often, as Dale said, you should at least perform a chemical balance check of your coolant every year. Failure to maintain the correct chemical balance will cause erosion and eventual failure of your wet sleeve cylinder liners. Obviously a very bad thing.

The entire Mtc Manual is available on the Prevost web site: http://prevostparts.volvo.com/techni.../en/manuel.asp.

I have not changed the coolant yet but I do check it with the strips. Since I have had this bus I have had DD/allison in Coberg,Or do an oil change and twice at SOD. I had assumed the these filters were changed but as I was rolling around under it this weekend I noticed the coolant filters looked really old, which brought up the question of what they were for.

Do you get your coolant from DD or ??? NAPA has a Fleet Charge (large diesel) coolant for ~$15 gal concentrate. Is this the going rate?

GregM

Greg,

Brian is right on the money (pun intended) and before you end up rebuilding your engine due to lack of coolant maintenance you will be plugging your radiator. I don't know why but the 8V92 is really sensitive to coolant maintenance.

If you have no plans to change coaches this may be a good time to change to extended life coolant. If you make the change do a good job of flushing to remove all the old coolant and possibly dislodging whatever crud has built up inside the radiator tubes. Use blank coolant conditioner cartidges in place of what is there now and label the coolant tank cap to warn that nothing but extended life coolant is to be used. No additives or any coolant not meeting the EC-1 spec.

Greg, As Jon said, when you change coolant, you're doing your engine a favor if you go to an EC-1 spec. extended life coolant after a good flush. Caterpillar developed this spec. and you can get the Cat coolant at Halton Co. in Portland. Chevron also makes an EC-1 coolant that has a higher mileage claim. Any Chevron jobber should have it.

Thanks
    Greg