Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water in Fuel

Hey Bryan,

Where in the LA area are you? We've got a fairly active southern CA contingent, and would love to get to meet you.

Ray

Default No light, just sunshine

I posted another 150 miles today under the clear blue sky and lots of sun. No "Water in Fuel" light today. Sooooo - it must have been the rain?

Welcome LA Man, thanks for the response, you appear to be right on the money.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

I had the same problem with my Bluebird. It had an alarm buzzer instead of the light. I had to drain the Racor when it happened and that always did the trick.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Default Diesel Fuel Additive

My preferred product is Amsoil. Their Diesel Concentrate is a system cleaner and lubricity improver. The Cetane Boost Additive will increase cetane by up to 7 points. Both products are recommended for use with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. Both products come in a 16 oz. bottle and treat 80 gallons each. I buy it by the case directly from Amsoil and use it in every Diesel vehicle I own.

For those who do not know, Cetane is to Diesel like Octane is to Gasoline.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

OK Jim, you now have the cynic in me awake.

I am a disbeliever. How can anyone know this additive does anything? And if it does, what exactly does it do and how was it proven and documented?

I'm not breaking your chops just to give you a hard time although that is a secondary benefit, but I am trying to determine if there is a product safe to use that mitigates the loss of fuel economy due to the change in fuels over the last few years.

When I first bought the coach, prior to the change in sulfur content, 8+ MPG was the norm for my coach. That is the Pro Driver information at the end of 5000 miles of use which I reset at every oil change. I was consistently at that average. I towed the Hummer and the speed has always been 62, or more precisely about 1525 RPM in sixth. (my mileage suffers when I run with the King)

Today under the same conditions I am at 7.7 to 7.8, with several 5000 mile blocks at 7.5 or below. Nothing has changed but the fuel.

None of us who runs a generator can get a better estimate of actual mileage than that offered by the Pro Driver. How can we determine we can get better performance or mileage?

I have noted that, just like me, my bus tends to gain weight over time. I am nearly 500 pounds heavier than a couple of years ago. Due, I guess, to all the junk I've accumulated. Jon is no doubt more meticulous than I, but perhaps there has been some creeping weight gain that accounts for the decreasing mpg? Have others noted decreased mileage on ULS fuel? I seem to get 4.5 to 5 no matter what I do. Love that 8-V!!!

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LA-HODAG View Post
    I have noted that, just like me, my bus tends to gain weight over time. I am nearly 500 pounds heavier than a couple of years ago. Due, I guess, to all the junk I've accumulated. Jon is no doubt more meticulous than I, but perhaps there has been some creeping weight gain that accounts for the decreasing mpg? Have others noted decreased mileage on ULS fuel? I seem to get 4.5 to 5 no matter what I do. Love that 8-V!!!
    Follow Jon to OKC for the next POG rally - You'll pick up 1-1.5 MPG!

I am extremely sensitive to weight, if you will ignore the fact we tow my wife's H2 Hummer.

Over the past several years I have substantially reduced the amount of "stuff" we carry. We have taken a load of stuff from the house that we never use or that was a duplicate. I have reduced the stuff in my bays. I no longer fill my water tank. If we are going to a campground I start out with 30% water where previously I would fill it.

I always tanker fuel so on a trip that may be 1400 to 1800 miles I will not top off until I get home. My average driving weight as a result is likely 1500 pounds less than the weights when I scale the bus which is done with full fuel and water, but enpty holding tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    OK Jim, you now have the cynic in me awake.

I am a disbeliever. How can anyone know this additive does anything? And if it does, what exactly does it do and how was it proven and documented?

I'm not breaking your chops just to give you a hard time although that is a secondary benefit, but I am trying to determine if there is a product safe to use that mitigates the loss of fuel economy due to the change in fuels over the last few years.

When I first bought the coach, prior to the change in sulfur content, 8+ MPG was the norm for my coach. That is the Pro Driver information at the end of 5000 miles of use which I reset at every oil change. I was consistently at that average. I towed the Hummer and the speed has always been 62, or more precisely about 1525 RPM in sixth. (my mileage suffers when I run with the King)

Today under the same conditions I am at 7.7 to 7.8, with several 5000 mile blocks at 7.5 or below. Nothing has changed but the fuel.

None of us who runs a generator can get a better estimate of actual mileage than that offered by the Pro Driver. How can we determine we can get better performance or mileage?
    Jon, I know you are a non believer in additives and I knew I would hear from you on this topic.

Because the bottles say so.....

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Default Says so on the bottle

I recall years ago going on the Jack Daniels Distillery Tour in Lynchburg, Tn.

Someone in the group asked why It (the whiskey) was called Sour Mash whiskey?

The tour guides answer was sharp and dry: It says so on the bottle.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost