Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Water in Fuel

Default Water in Fuel

I got my last 3 tanks of fuel at Flying J in Knoxville. I am guessing this has been spread over the last 4 to 5 weeks. I recently travelled to North Carolina - no problem- came back in a continuous rain fall sometimes very heavy- Water in Fuel light flashing on and off - no spits, no sputters, then I refueled at a local truck stop and am still getting the message on the large and very vivid display of my CC.

Do I just drain the rycor filter again or do I change it and the primary filter -Or is the fuel (ULSD) of such poor cetane that the computer thinks it is watered down?

Is it possible with all the rain/humidity the sensor was getting a false reading?

Anyone else experience this problem? and what was the corrective action?
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

dalej Guest

Those are all very good questions Roger and deserve some good answers but I've got nothing.

It does remind me of something from last week though. When I fueled in Lubbock, TX. I then headed north to Amarillo, TX. about 109 miles. At a stop light, the guy in the car next to me motioned to me and says... Your fuel door is open. I right away remembered that I didn't even put the cap back on and left the door open, that's the first time for that one. There is so much pressure to hurry at truck stops, for me anyway.

P.S. Bus's are so smooth that I didn't even spill a drop.
    P.S.S. Im glad I put the cap inside the filler door during fueling.

Talking

Your gettin there Dale, older I mean. Your not that young whipper snapper you used to be

You just had a " senior moment " Get used to it.

JIM

Roger, In my opinion if you don't see water in your fuel filter you don't have water in your fuel system. Any trace of water will be sitting in the bottom of the bowl and easy to see. I wonder if you are on to something about the " ultra low sulfur " diesel. I have always used a fuel conditioner and cetane boost with each fill up. Sulfur is the lubricant that has been in fuel for years and now removed. Cetane ratings are also at an all time low.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Rodger I agree with Jim you will see it. You mentioned it happened in the rain, Is it still on in the dry?

If not it could be much rain water connecting the end terminal point to ground.

Could be just a spit of unobserved water at the bottom of the bowl, did you drain it anyway?

I installed an oil temp gauge in our PU and I had to go back and shield the sensor wire terminal from wet conditions cause in the hard rain the gauge was "clipping" cause it was not shielded from that moisture sufficiently enough. I think the rain water was creating ground.

Whenever I have drained water from a separator I did not let it effect the service interval of the filter unless it was in the winter and jelling was occurring.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-26-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Jim, Could you share what conditioner/booster you use and how much. Many thanks.

Default Fuel Light

Roger, we experience that every time it rains hard. The light goes out when dried. Ed asks, " Do you have a true Raycor or a Detroit Diesel Fuel Pro?" Ours consistantly comes on but when it dries out the light goes off. We have the Fuel Pro.
    At least we know that it is raining when the light comes on Try putting a dab of silicone on the sensor and see what happens. Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Thanks for the responses. No visible water in the bowl. I will hit the road again this week and see if the water in the fuel light is out. Hopefully no rain this trip.

Sandy: I hope your cold is better, mine continues to drag on. Even with the Cold and flu Margaritas that Dr. Micki prescribed. Tell the Captain I have a true Raycor, I even have a minature (1/2 size) on the Gen Set.

Jim: What kind/brand of additives & how much are you using?

JoeC. I have not replaced the filters as yet, I want to see if it was just the rain.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Wink Cold

Roger, I am still fighting with it also. Man oh Man~ Are you sure that we didn't get the SWINE Flu from the Pig food? Or was there people there from Mexico?

Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

I have a true Raycor, and I get the light when the connections get wet, especially when I hose off the engine.

--Bryan