Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV upgrade audio

jelmore Guest

Default TV upgrade audio

I getting ready to upgrade all the TVs and satellite receivers. Before I pull out the TVs and see what I need, (Paul?) did Liberty patch into the TV speakers to drive the overhead speakers, or did they use an amp on the audio out? I suspect they hardwired it, but thought I should check.

Both Tv's in my Coach have no speakers, they are LCD Monitors essentially. the sound is thru the Bose Tuner.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Hi Jim,

I am at Marathon in San Antonio Fl. Today having a few items addressed before we leave Florida for the summer.

I item is to replace a bad receiver that has a bad power supply. Last year I replaced both Tv's with LCD's both Sat receivers, dish, all audio components.

I am not sure if Marathon installs their A/V systems the same as Liberty, but here is how mine is done.

We have 2 receivers with connections to our auto eye on/off infrared light system working with the single (Pronto)control device.

All speakers including all subwoofers are attached to the receivers. When the Pronto turns on the power, it powers up the Sat receiver, the receiver and the Tv with one unit. The receivers, Tv and sat receiver are all in sync.

I replaced the Tv's with Sony 40" Bravo in Salon, and a 20" Sharp for the bedroom overhead, both LCD.

It is not as easy as your home system, at least not as easy as mine.

The TV replaced a 40" Sony that was a big glass tube unit, big big. The cost of the new Sony was only a small part. If Marathon installs a TV they must meet DOT requirements (so they said) when installing the unit. My Tv is in my slideout and they had to take the room apart to weld a stand and brace to the back of the new Tv so it will not fall out on my head turning a hard stop or accident, worth it. I saved enough room in the cabinet to add a pull out shelf.

Good morning,

I just went through the process of upgrading all of my A/V equipment in the bus. I decided to have the ability to use the audio out of the TV (not just monitors) as well as through the bose system. For really no extra dollars spent (TV not much more than monitor) I have a built in backup system for the audio. All you need to make sure if you are going to run new wires is that an extra set of audio wires are run from the receiver/switcher. I did not have to change out the Bose equipment in the coach since I already had surround sound capability.

Parliament coach did a great job for me with running all of the wires and mounting the three televisions. I had an old fashion system with only a monitor up front and the CRT style televisions in bedroom and outside. I went to HDTV LCD at all locations. I designed the system using an active matrix switcher so that I can get any input to any or all of the televisions at any time.

The important process is the planning so that the correct wires are run at one time. Also, it is smart to run extra wires in case you need in the future.

dreamchasers Guest

Kim,

Did Parliment re work any of the cabinetry for the television upgrade? Pictures would offer great guidance. I am looking at audio upgrades also.

Hector

Jim,

Yours may be amplified, but mine wasn't. My old TV had wires coming out of the set (through the vent holes) that attached directly to the overhead speakers and must have been amplified from the TV.

I just put in a new flat screen and found a small amplifier (79.00) that I mounted in the audio cabinet. I then used the flat screen headset plug to drive the amplifier and all is well. It's hard to find a new TV with audio out and if you find one, it won't drive any speakers since it's not amplified.

jelmore Guest

Tom, thanks. I'd guess mine is set up like yours was. Before I ordered the amplifiers (one for each tv), I just wanted to make sure. Seems I had heard Liberty hardwired the overhead speakers to the TV. I presume a separate amplifier will drive those speakers much better than the TV amp. The new TVs (Viewsonic) have headphone out audio. Did you notice a difference in sound quality with the separate amp? In the salon, we also have the Bose system. It's nice to have a choice between audio systems, combining them for shows like 24.

Kim, did you install a satellite receiver at each TV? If so, can you switch satellites from any receiver?

Bruce, we've seen your set up. Very, very sweet. Great installation. You should post pictures.

jelmore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Both Tv's in my Coach have no speakers, they are LCD Monitors essentially. the sound is thru the Bose Tuner.
    Gary, Liberty didn't install any speakers in the ceiling separate from the Bose system? I had considered installing monitors since you can get a much bigger screen in the same space as a TV, but that would suffer since monitors don't have a remote to control brightness, power, resolution, etc. Also, I didn't want to lose my TV audio since sometimes it's nice to just use one remote.

Hi Jim. What I have is a Bose surround sound system and a RCA Sat reciever in the front and the back. Each Bose system has 5 speakers, two speakers in the front, two in the ceiling of the galley, and a woofer under the couch. Crestron controls the TV's but I also have two RCA remotes which came with the Sat recievers. It controls channels as well as volume thru a IR controller which syncs with the Bose and the RCA Reciever. Both monitors have their own remotes for adjusting for color, brightness, etc.
    I hope all of that makes sense.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jim,

The amps will blow you out of the bus compared to just the old TV hardwired direct to the speakers. Here's a picture of a basic Pyle Pro amp I found:

CIMG0094_1.JPG

Couldn't you run the headphone out on your new TV to the Bose amp?