Thread: How long SHOULD IT TAKE to sell a bus?

Default How long SHOULD IT TAKE to sell a bus?

How long should it take to sell a bus if it is priced commensurately with its condition in a NORMAL market?

This market is not a normal market: financing is almost non existent, buyers are uncertain about the economy, and fuel prices are creeping up again. Converters and plastic manufacturers are closing shop & declaring bankruptcy, some are cutting prices to the bone (others aren't!), and the public ain't buying nothin'.

Steve & anyone else, what do you think about this question?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

ajhaig Guest

Tuga,

We sold our bus through a dealer last October, it took a few months. We were very aggressive about the price, more aggressive than the dealer thought we should be. I found that the dealers don't want to see prices cut that much because it effects the value of their inventory and/or the value of their consignments.

It's all about the price, there is a clearing price for everything. If it's not priced for the current market, it won't sell. The "normal" market was unsustainable, I doubt the seller wants to wait around for the next credit bubble to sell the coach!

AJ

When my first bus was finally repaired after the fire I also put an agressively low price on it. I cannot remember exactly how long, but it was only a few weeks, maybe a month.

It was less than 10% below the market, and I detailed the coach. I have seen some for sale that looked crappy, a definite turn off.

Price it right, fix everything so you are not making excuses, and make it sparkle, including getting rid of personal stuff.

Yep, I agree 100% with Jon. The cleaner the unit the more attention it will get. I hate to see a coach for sale with the owners personal items filling the drawers and closets. It's like the unit is not really for sale. Just gives me a funny feeling that's a turn off.
    Paul Davis sold our Country Coach Intrigue in 90 days for what was then low book. Everybody was happy. The right person just happened to come along at the right time. It's a crap shoot. Right bus, right buyer, right price and the deal will happen.

On RV Online and EBay there is a 2007 Featherlite H3 double slide for 598K,either Featherlite has destroyed it's market with their new coach pricing or someone must sell NOW! Looking at the used market this coach is considerably less than other coaches of the same vintage,if I were in the market for a newer coach I would go look at this one,even though I really like stainless.Price in today's economy is everything and the used coaches that are priced right are a real value for some buyers.The amount of used coaches for sale by individuals and non converting dealers is making it very hard for the converters that are still in business.I would not want to be forced to raise capital by selling a coach at this time.When an almost new coach can be purchased for a fraction of a new coach it will really hurt the new coach sales,IMHO we won't see any improvement in pricing until these fire sale coaches have evaporated from the market.

When I sold my red bus, it actually sold within a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, the buyer couldn't qualify for loan, and the bus went back up for sale. Variations on this happened 4-5 times, until like the 6th purchaser actually was able to take delivery.

Total time was 2-3 months, however interest was high and immediate. My price point on that bus ($169K) might have attracted a buyer who thought they could afford it, but couldn't?

This was in much better times, however.

Ray