Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Storing with fridge 'on' or 'off?

I turn mine off, empty out and wait until it drys out, way easier to clean when dry!

I'm not fortunate enough to have electric hook-up available at the storage lot where we keep our bus. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a place convenient to our home that offers RV/bus storage with any sort of hook-ups. We basically pay for a parking space in a secure (gate code access) lot with security cameras. I would love to have access to a similar situation with electric hook-up - or even better - I would pay a fair premium to have access to indoor storage. Anyone in or near Cherokee County, GA got an empty warehouse space they would care to rent to a fellow POGger to protect his beloved bus baby? We'd be your devoted friends forever!

We shut ours off because unfortunately our trips are usually at least 30 days apart. If you leave it on, try to keep it full of as much water or liquids as possible. The extra mass of these items will keep it from cycling as much. I would also be very careful about keeping meat or anything in the freezer that would spoil / smell if it lost power unless you can check on it frequently. We have seen many coaches that have had the refrigerator ruined, (mainly during service when they did not plug in the coach) do to the odor of spoiled food.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

Default Mike & Dr

Beware of the storage areas that boast of Security Camera coverage. About 3 years ago while still in Omaha I bought a Polaris ATV & Trailer and stored it at a supposedly reputable rental area who extolled their security camera system. However, when it came to pass that someone was able to steal trailer and all, and I asked for Video Survailance , I found out that the installed "Cameras" were really just fake and that they figured it was enough to deter a theft. Oh well, even with the help of a lawyer I was unable to hold the Property liable due to a catch all clause of Not responsible for .... so be cautious about any sort of rental/storage area. Check for an airplane hanger...

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Tobacco Warehouses?

Michael & Dr. Vita Terry,

I'm not sure what part of Georgia in which you reside. However, it may be possible to find an old, no longer used, tobacco sales warehouse for indoor storage. Those buildings usually have large doors, both in width and height. I looked at one in Carthage for possible commercial storage use but could not come to terms. That was almost three years ago and it is still on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by rahangman View Post
    Beware of the storage areas that boast of Security Camera coverage. About 3 years ago while still in Omaha I bought a Polaris ATV & Trailer and stored it at a supposedly reputable rental area who extolled their security camera system. However, when it came to pass that someone was able to steal trailer and all, and I asked for Video Survailance , I found out that the installed "Cameras" were really just fake and that they figured it was enough to deter a theft. Oh well, even with the help of a lawyer I was unable to hold the Property liable due to a catch all clause of Not responsible for .... so be cautious about any sort of rental/storage area. Check for an airplane hanger...
    Unfortunately the airplane hangar thing is in the past....that is unless it is a private airport with a personally owned hangar. The TSA has mandated just what came come onto an airport and if it doesn't fly, it won't be there much longer. They are working there way through airports, the bigger ones went first, now they are finishing up with any airport with any kind of air service and soon they will even be in Milad City Idaho

Michael,

In case you haven't noticed, I'm 10 miles from you and have previously PM'd you and sent an e-mail and you never answered. If you want a covered spot in Cherokee County with power, I have a source if space is available.

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Michael,

In case you haven't noticed, I'm 10 miles from you and have previously PM'd you and sent an e-mail and you never answered. If you want a covered spot in Cherokee County with power, I have a source if space is available.
    Tom - I have noticed that you are close to us. However, I've not received either of the messages that you refer to above! (I just re-checked my private messages and all my e-mail files) I'd love to know more about the covered spot with power that you mentioned! My direct e-mail address is michael_terry@comcast.net

We live in Towne Lake Hills East and the bus is currently kept at a lot on Bells Ferry Road, near Hwy 92 (3-4 miles from our house).

Quote Originally Posted by rahangman View Post
    I personally checked out the security camera system. It is functional and provides full coverage of the storage lot. However, I hear your warning loud and clear. I don't kid myself that the cameras are any real protection against determined thieves or vandals. This was just the best place that I could find that was close enough to home to have reasonably fast access to the bus.

I'm sure most realize this, but for those who may be new to ownership be aware that the best two things you can do for your coach is to keep it under cover when it is not being used and to maintain power to the coach.

Our coaches are built to be used. They were built by Prevost to be used often and to have the miles accumulate. It keeps everything exercised and in good shape. But if you cannot drive the coach often, at least protect it. After the seminars last year given by the tire companies I am also supporting the chassis on stands and taking the weight off the tires to extend their life.

Keeping the coach powered up is also a huge advantage. Inverters are designed to maintain the batteries and if nothing else keeping power to the inverters is going to prolong the life of a set of very expensive batteries. But power is also important to maintain reasonable temepratures. A coach cooking in the summer heat, especially if it is not under cover may develop problems with the adhesion of the laminates. Heat shortens the life of plastics and other materials. Conversely, in sub freezing temps power is needed for heat.

A short exposure to the outside without cover or power is unlikely to create problems, but over time it can produce many issues. For potential buyers something that must be considered in these times is how long a coach has been sitting on a dealer's lot available for sale, and what has happened to the coach while it has been sitting. I would worry not only about the abive mentioned concerns, but what about corrosion inside the engine, mold or mildew, axle seals, batteries, tires, suspension valves that have not been exercised, etc.