Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a Newell or Prevost

If the 500,000 mile Prevost drove nice that should answer any questions about the integrity of the chassis.

A Prevost will pull, but with the S60 and six speed transmission they are set up to default to economy. They are OK on flat roads at highway speeds, but to make it work on hills you need to go to performance mode and manually select the gears to keep the engine wound up.

Thanks everyone for all the help. The trailer as a TOAD is a great idea, but we already do that most times and quite often our kids elect to sleep on cots on the 2nd level of the trailer..

I do have a question, my current Renegade has a feature to lock the differential and then engage the 2nd set of axles, so that all 8 rear tires are driving. This has saved me more them once climbing in a parking lot in snow, or on wet grass. Does a Prevost have any traction issues??

Also, am I right to assume a lot of the Prevosts I see right now were listed for sale a year ago or more, and therefore are priced totally wrong? Frankly I wouldn't be in the market for one if the prices hadn't collapsed. Funny I see the same year and similiar features in two coaches, one will be $400,000 the other will be $200,000. I am assuming the 400k guy isn't really serious or is okay keeping the coach in inventory forever. Surely some of the dealers must be in a little bit of a panic??

Fixrim,
    Your are unable to lock up the rear end like your truck, but the Prevost has good traction when you lift the tag, just make sure you are on stable ground or it will sink.
    You will find that your truck will do some things like pull a trailer much better than a bus, a lot due to the radiator in the front and not on the side. Also the 6 speed allison and the final rear gear ratio just is not the same as most over the road trucks. Having said all that, nothing goes down the road as nice as a Prevost!

Another thing to think about, the Prevost weighs typically 47000 lbs or more, generally speaking. I wouldn't trust going on roads less travelled with either the Prevost or a Newell.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Wish us luck we are looking at Star Coaches now... seems like they would work well, with bunks and all... Any advice on what to look for??

Work from a list of your wants and needs. You and only you know what is important.

As far as evaluating a coach, you need documentation of its service history or maintenance. At the very least you need Detroit and Allison to run the codes and give an opinion on the health of the engine transmission.

There is a lot of information on the POG site. Take advantage of it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fixrim View Post
    Wish us luck we are looking at Star Coaches now... seems like they would work well, with bunks and all... Any advice on what to look for??
    fixrim - good luck in your search! Have fun with it! Based on your information, I agree that a Star Coach configuration will be a good fit for you. As far as "what to look for" - the same caveats apply - look for detailed, up to date maintenance history (records, receipts), documented, verifiable accident/damage and repair history. Inspect (or have inspected) all systems and components (chassis and house) for proper operational functionality before making any firm offer.

Another thing to consider when buying this style of conversion is the type of "construction" inside the bus. Many current entertainer converters now use "condo" or "modular" components (bunks, shower stalls, galleys) to make the conversion more flexible and for ease of accommodating end users with varying needs/specifications. In other words, if user "A" needs 3 bunks and more closets versus user "B" wanting 6 bunks and a larger refrigerator - no problem! The condo components can be changed and reconfigured in a matter of hours between tours to suit current requirements. I've noticed some Star Coach buses for sale in recent years that even come with additional "condo modules' - so you may be able to find and negotiate additional interior options in your purchase to give you more flexibility with your final configuration.

Bottom line - when you find "the one" - you'll know it! So enjoy the adventure and be sure to consult the POG "brain trust" of experienced bus nuts and sponsors when you need help or advice! It's definitely a buyer's market now. There will never be a better time to get the most "bang for your buck" on the best bus money can buy!

Thanks for all the help. We managed to find a coach that is too much like a motorhome to be a good starcoach but too much like a star coach to be a good motorhome, so it fits us about as perfect as can be expected. Motivated seller too, I ended up with an 03 XLII with 2 slides, my budget was more in the late 90's era range, but I moved up a little and this guy moved way down I think, but such is the state of the market these days. It is refreshing that nearly everyone I have talked to about these units has been extremely helpful and very nice. One exception though, we did see a dealer with several used Prevosts that would barely talk to us. I am sure I do not fit the demographic for a Prevost, but still! My wife said we wouldn't buy one from him on principle alone! I feel for the owners that have their units consigned with him!

Any advice on towing?? Does a 20,000 lb hitch really mean it is fine to tow 20,000 lbs? I am used to towing around 30,000 with my current rig, but I also have plenty of experience towing with coaches and I know this one won't tow that. I've had motorhomes that really struggle to tow anything more than a car. I am considering building my own stacker (I have done this before) since the stackers I see are pretty heavy empty, and expensive. I typically don't tow with two cars, but sometimes I might. I would expect to tow about 8000 lbs of gear and cars when I have two, so I have to get a stacker with as low of weight as I can.

Thanks for all the help, I am sure I will need more..

Thumbs up

Fixrim,

From a ninties to an '03? I GUESS you moved up a little. Heartiest congrats to you and your family. How about some more info and some PICS.

I towed 16,000 LBS. on one trip with a 05 Liberty with no problem,4.1 MPG.