Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a Newell or Prevost

Hi Fixrim. Prevost. A couple of thoughts. The Prevost in the long run will cost less to operate, I believe, for the miles driven. Fewer problems on the chasis and house sides, easy to get parts. You can remodel and customize a Prevost to accomodate your needs . There are several reliable companies that do interior remodels. The POG Forum, hands down, makes Prevost ownership a huge advantage.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Nog?

Ditto what everyone else has said. I only have one question, Is there a NOG (Newell Owners Group) on the net? The only NOG I know of comes around once a year and is preceeded by EGG but not at Easter.

You will know what coach is for you when you see it and not before. Get off the net and get out there in the real world and start smelling the diesel and old bus aromas. They have become better that hot coffee in the morning for me.

Good luck in your quest and let all of us know when you succeed - with pictures of course. We really like pictures!

If you have not found your coach before October, come to the POG rally in OKC and kick some tires with us. Its OK to wear dark glasses with a false nose and a wig, if for no other reasons than possible public humiliation being seen with this crowd or sheep avoidance. Sheep knowledge comes after your purchase.

Hello fixrim.

At our last rally at TOGO in Titusville Florida we met a 83 year old gentleman who lived at either 103, 107, or 109 Windsong. He has a 2004 double slide Prevost Royal very nice exterior colors very low milage. The man said that he needed to sell it soon, take a low offer, health reasons. Worth a look in my opinion. I would ask Andre Duceote (POG) member if he could track down the owner and get a phone number, ducoteandre@aol.com
    The way this man was talking he was ready to raise cash and move on.

Hi Fixrim,

Buy the one your wife likes the best!

Will,

Newell does have an online website; it is Newellclassic.com and it is monitored by John Clark, VP service w/Newell Coach. I am member and we also have some pretty knowledgeable guys on the forum. One fellow devised a way to check for air leaks by putting freon 134a in his air system and then using a freon leak detector to find the leaks. In addition to the website, Newell service is on call 24/7 with a toll free number. Newell has an excellent service department with friendly and experienced techs. Many of the techs have been employed there for over 30 years! Also, they have a 2 year / 24,000 mile warranty on used coaches. All in all they are pretty good people to deal with. They have certainly met all of my service needs over the past 17 years.

Would I buy another Newell; you bet I would!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Alright Tuga that's enough.

You forgot to mention, you can still get one with a Cat C-15 powerplant, I think, can't you?

Joe,

I am sure that there are some around, but I believe the new engine is a Cummins. Do you know anything about that C-15? I know it has more hp but it doesn't get the mileage that the series 60 does.

I have driven a Newell with the turning tag axle and the C-15 engine. It really pulls strong and has good acceleration from 50-70!

I had a 38' Bertram with twin 3208 CATs, and all I remember is the oil filters, fuel filters, and all other parts for a CAT was EXPENSIVE!!!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

The designation C-15 is the Caterpillar engine, not Cummins, and it is available up to 625 hp and 2050 ft-lbs torque the last I reviewed it. Cummins has a rival engine with comparable stats. The Cummins has been offered on plastic coaches for some time, but this was before the current economic conditions hit, of course. The Newell had the Cat engine offered, and so did the Bluebird in their last newest coach, before they died. The high torque ratings of these engine required either that the electronic control limit the torque for the ubiquitous World Transmission, or the ZF 10 speed automatic (non torque converter) transmission is used.

I don't think you will see any Cat's in anything in the future, they are out of the over the road truck engine market as of 2010.
    What will the yellow guys buy, Joe, what do you think?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Yes Kevin I knew that is coming. Sad day. They will put them in trucks only untill the end of the deadline for that new exhaust crap. What do they know or do you think that the decision to stop was because of that???????????? Makes me wonder.

How can that be.

Friggin tree huggers

There is plenty out there and they will always be around for, the rest of our lifetimes anyway. I prefer the stuff with throttle CABLES not wires and those have been gone for quite some time now Lots a them still around too.

Question:

Does anyone think that the day will come when ALL diesels will be required to run this new exhaust washing crap the new ones do?
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-11-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks for all the info. We did drive a Newell and a 500,000 mile Prevost today. The Prevost was a Starcoach that, well, looked a little used and the drivers area was rather spartan. The Newell looked, well, like a 10 year old motorhome. Based on drive though, the Prevost won hands down. Smooth as glass! Felt a little underpowered, we have a Renegade conversion now based on Freightliner Colmbia chassis with a 450hp Mercedes. The Prevost seemed like it was as fast as our Renegade, but our Renegade always has 25000 lbs of trailer following. I'm still not ruling one or the other out, but the Prevost has taken the lead for sure. Now I need to find one, a task which is made more difficult because frankly there are so many right now! Wish me luck..