Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a Newell or Prevost

Default Considering a Newell or Prevost

Help!! Young family needs a rig, and it seems the Newells had slides a little earlier and are available for attractive prices in a double slide where as Prevosts with slides are a little harder to come by in that price range. So my question is will we notice a big difference between the Newell and the Prevost? I have talked to a good many people, some Newell people say the Prevost is no better than a Newell and is in fact a compromise because it is a converted bus. Others say the Prevost is the only way to go, no matter what. I have owned One Jayco, 2 Monaco's, a Newmar, and currently a Renegade that tows race cars. All were pretty good (except the 2nd Monaco, that thing was SCARY!) but we want something that has some longevity. We tend to put quite few miles on, all towing. I am leaning towards a Newell but am having a hard time getting a good opinion on either unit. Now, if I could find a 2 slide Prevost for the price of a 2 slide Newell I might be better convinced.

We have 5 boys, ages 5 thru 12, and needless to say we need a bulletproof bus that will last. We havent figured out how we will sleep everyone just yet either! Our current Renegade sleeps plenty, but we do't race as much now and want something we can vacation in, not just race out of..

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the POG group. I have a Prevost and my nephew has a Newell and believe me there is a great difference in handling down the hwy. Take a test ride and you will see what I'am talking about. Hey have Fun shopping it's a great time to be buying!!!

Welcome to the POG. This forum make owning a Prevost so much easier because of the availability of the knowledge and support offered by other members. Everybody has their own opinion. Newell is a fine RV, and you will always find them cheaper than a Prevost with the same configuration (slides, etc.).

There is no other coach on the road that is made like Prevost. They start off as buses that are designed to go 1,000,000 miles on the engine, transmission and chassis. Everything about the bus is commercial grade. A good used Prevost will hold its value better than any other coach on the road. I am personally partial to the stainless steel look and feel.

I too have owned many RVs including Newmar and American Eagle. They were all nice, but none of them would even compare to the quality in a Prevost. When you drive a Prevost, you will see the difference. If the slides are the most important things you are looking for, the Newell will be easier to find at any given price when compared to a Prevost. Good luck in your decision and your search for that perfect coach.
    Last edited by dale farley; 04-10-2009 at 12:05 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Default Budget Twin Slide Prevost

One of the site sponsors Pantera Coach in Angola In. has a twin slide Country Coach XLV 99 I think, that I have been in and its really nice. Evert thing in the coach is brand new the owner had all the remodle done and never used the bus again. when I looked at it the guy wanted 450.000 now its on there site for 225.000 you would be hard pressed to find a nicer coach. Take a look!
    2005 Parliament XL-II SS
    2007 Avalanche

Thanks for all the advice. Believe me it seems like I have looked on the net at every Newell and Prevost out there. I will look at them all, but just when I think I have this figured out, I'll find another one that becomes a new favorite...Having owned plastic rigs before, I worry a little that the Newell is just a top line plastic rig even though I know it is aluminum...
    Last edited by fixrim; 04-10-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I think with 5 boys you are either going to need a motor home floor plan with the 3 bunks in the isle next to the bathroom or you will have to modify the front bay for a sleeping berth, possibly BOTH. That would give you 5 additional spots while still leaving the front room open.

Can't help much on the Newel never been in one.

If price is very high on your consideration list your decision will be easier. If not there are going to be a million things to weigh.

Unless someone has owned both a Newell and a Prevost all you will get when you ask the questions are opinions. One question to ask Newell owners is if they would buy a Prevost, and ask Prevost owners if they would buy a Newell.

I expect Tuga to respond here since he owns a Newell and has considered a Prevost. He may offer some insight.

I started in motorhomes in 1990 with a 1987 Prevost and now have a 1997. One thing that is indisputable is the fact that the Prevost chassis is built for commercial service to the standards required by the DOT, but even more importantly is its durability has been proven over what is likely to be billions (not millions) of miles. If the chassis has any weaknesses the commercial operators who run their buses 100,000 plus miles a year will have found the problems and Prevost will have corrected those problems.

There isn't a Prevost owner in POG that I am aware of that is likely to wear out their Prevost.

But the Prevost chassis is not all that you are buying. You are also buying an interior or a house built inside that chassis. Now would be a great time for all of us to brag about how great our various conversions are, but if I am interpreting your needs correctly you are looking for durability and the ability to provide for 5 children. That leads me to suggest you seriously consider an entertainer coach for three reasons.

An entertainer coach is built for durability and reliability. The folks that use these coaches treat them as a tool, not their home so of primary importance is the ability for everything to work day after day. We who use these as motorhomes can tolerate some failures, but the entertainers don't have time to get the coach in for repairs. They want something as reliable as an anvil. The same goes for the choice of materials. Italian marble may be great for a motorhome used occasionally, but it will not hold up to constant daily use so the converter will select flooring and cabinetry and countertop materials that will last and still look good.

An entertainer's coach will have bunks. It is built to house more than a couple. Our coaches can accomodate a guest for a short duration, but an entertainer's coach is built to house as many as 8.

Lastly, entertainer coaches will be much less expensive than a motorhome conversion. They are tools and as such in a short period they will rack up the miles. The truth is miles don't mean much. The engine if maintained is a 1,000,000 mile engine. The chassis has a greater life. The generators are probably good for 30,000 hours. My point is that while a motorhome owner will consider a coach with 150,000 miles on it high mileage, it is nowhere near a high mileage coach and likely is in worse shape than one that is used and exercised regularly.

Entertainer coaches have downsides. You will have to add some stuff we take for granted. Awnings are an example. You are not likely to get an outside entertainment center. The kitchen will be small compared to a motorhome. The long wheel base compared to a motorhome (33" longer) will give you more bay space, but make tooling around in the typical KOA a little more difficult.

I considered a Newell because I think the four slide Newells really are nice, but in the end realized that sometimes a coach with multiple slides really sucks when you are driving because they jam everything together, and when they are open they don't give you any more furniture or sitting places, just more space in the middle of the floor. We don't hold square dances in our coach so we would not benefit from more floor space.

Have fun looking.

Thumbs up Star Coach Conversions

fixrim,

I would suggest that you look at entertainers in a star coach configuration with 6 bunks. With this design, you may be able to get the "best of both worlds." Star coach entertainer conversions often have a rear bedroom/stateroom in addition to the bunks (instead of a seated rear lounge). The star coaches also often have a shower - and some even have a second bathroom in the rear stateroom. The galley is often very basic with a small, under-counter refrigerator, microwave, and coffee-maker (maybe no cooktop). However, if your primary concern is comfortable sleeping space for the kids - this may be your best compromise. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the design of the entertainer as a working coach will also provide you a sturdier conversion in terms of the materials standing up to the wear and tear dished out by active children. Finally, you are likely to find a wide selection of well used, well maintained entertainer coaches for sales at subtantially lower asking prices than comparably aged luxuy motorhome conversions.

There are several brokers that specialize in the resale of entertainer coaches as operators are continually updating their fleets. Two of my favorites (that I have personally dealt with) are John Spellings at http://busforsale.com and Wade Staley at http://www.staleycoach.com - both of which are located in the Nashville, TN area and always have an impressive selection of coaches to consider.

Good luck in your search for the right coach for you! Have fun!
    Last edited by michaeldterry; 04-10-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo

Petervs Guest

Hi Fixrim,

Have you ever noticed diamonds cost more than coal,

beer costs more than water,

Rolls Royces cost more than Pintos?

Why do you think Prevosts cost more than Newells then?

Good luck in your quest.

I would suggest buying a Travel Trailer as a toad. Then when someone ask you How many bedrooms do you have? - well how long of trailer do you want to pull?

You would have mulltiple baths too.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost