Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surge protector

lonesome george Guest

Default Surge protector

We need to purcahse a new surge protector and I'm thinking about the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, has anyone used this unit? Is it a good one? Or suggestions on some other type.

I have used the unit without any problems. However, recently there have been some posts withy people having repeated problems and failures. In fact, my original one committed suicide when a 65,000 volt line was hit by a truck and fell against a 12,000 volt line. That line supplied all of the 50 amp plugs at the OKC fairgrounds. Many coaches at multiple thousands of dollars worth of damage. In mine all I had to do was replace the surge protector.

George, I too, have heard others complain about the units, but I've been using one for over 2 years on two different buses with no problems. If mine quit today, I would buy another.

If you buy one, make sure you shop around. There are varied prices on them. This is where I bought mine, but you may find a better price. At the time, they were the cheapest. They are now $348. http://www.tweetys.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=37 After doing a quick search, this still looks like the best price.
    Last edited by dale farley; 04-09-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

lewpopp Guest

FWIW, I was told as I was looking for a surge protector to forget about the Hughes systems because they use the title of surge protector but are not true surge protectors.

This electrical engineer suggested the Progressive uit and we've been happy ever since. Just what I was told and I trust this guy.

This is what I use.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=136

I don't feel as confident as others giving a glowing endorsement because I don't think any of us knows if these work or not until there is a spike. And if there is a surge, and it protected the coach how would we know?

All I can say is the little glowing lights light up every time to assure me that the power outlet in the campground is wired correctly, and I hope the protector priotects.

This is kind of like hoping your air bag in your car works if you are ever involved in a collision. You will not know until it is too late.

I'm using the same one as Jon and so far so good. If I'm not mistaken, the higher priced one with the LED's and more gizmo's is the one that has been giving folks trouble.

I like the EMS-PT50C because it provides a constant visual of voltage, amps, and errors that may exist coming directly from the source. We have a tremendous amount of lightening strikes in my immediate area, and my unit often resets from high or low power surges.

In the last eight years, I've lost main circuit boards in 12 electric gate openers and 8 electric fence chargers to bad voltage/current, so I don't want to take any chances with the bus. I can look at my codes on the surge protector and know basically what caused the reset. Whether that knowledge is worth 3 times the cost of the SSP50 unit is debateable.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

lonesome george Guest

Default Thanks

Dale, Tom, Lew, Kim and Jon thank you for your posts on this question. We will end up with one or the other for sure.

George,
    I've been using mine for a couple of years. No problems.

More Pixs over at prevoman.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Cool%2.../Surgepg1.html

Mike

George and others,

I also use this unit and love it and would buy another. It's not only the spikes I am concerned with. In older RV parks the power is "iffy" to begin with, the power poles have been worked on by untrained electricians (read minimum wage teenagers riding around in a golf cart with a bucket full of tools). I like the idea of this unit giving me a "error" readout on the power pole before I plug in the bus.

Good luck,

Ken