Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Exhaust Wraps?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I have been eagerly awaiting this topic of propain injection to come up. I once saw a build up of a deisel and all the other components combined did not equal the increases from propain alone. We need to elaborate here. Who has more info, Jon, Jeff?

win42 Guest

www.dieselperformanceproducts.com These are the guys to talk to about propane Diesel injection. When they develop the first system for an 8V92 Detroit I will be a buyer.

win42 Guest

To install the Powershot Propane System to any (? ) vehicle:
    Attach the lockoff valve to the tank. Mount the Powershot unit, either on the tank, or where ever is convenient using the attached bracket.

Next, take the out the 40 ft of hose. Do not cut the spool of hose. You will be running two hoses from the engine to the tank, they will not be equal lengths, one will be longer than the other. Make one run, cut then you will have more than enough for the other run.

From where the tank will be mounted, make a run with the hose from the tank, to the engine.

Determine where you will introduce the propane into the engine. If the vehicle has an air box with a filter indicator, which is a gauge that tells whether the filter is clean or dirty, you can just remove the filter minder and insert the hose about a foot down into the air box so that it is beyond the filter. If not, simply drill a small hole into the air tube AFTER the filter and BEFORE the turbo. It can be about 6-8 inches away from the turbo INLET. It must be introduced BEFORE the turbo. Attach the label LP HOSE to this hose. Run it to the tank. You will cut and attach this hose to the Powershot unit. This hose will be attached to the fitting coming out the side of the Powershot unit. Or in line from the tank. This is the propane out to the engine fitting. Secure with hose clamp to the Powershot unit.

You will need to find a source to pick up boost pressure. Boost pressure from the turbo charger is what operates the Powershot regulator. If the vehicle has a boost gauge/meter installed, you can tee off of that area. If not, you will have to drill and tap a 1/8 pt
    (fitting included) at the manifold to pick up boost pressure.

Next take the remaining hose and install the hose to this fitting. Secure with hose clamp. Attach the enclosed BOOST PSI label to the hose. Take the full spool of hose and run it the Powershot unit. This hose will attach to the BOTTOM of the Powershot unit. The BOOST IN on the photo or the fitting directly under the large brass nut on the top. This is what operates the regulator and controls the flow of propane. Attach and secure with hose clamp.

Attach the wiring harness to the lock off valve solenoid, which is screwed into the tank. From this harness, attach to the switch assembly and run into the drivers compartment/cab to mount . These are the on/off and reactivate/system re arm switches. These should be wired to the vehicle’s ignition, so that the Powershot system will can be activated or turned on only when the ignition is on. So power with ignition on, no power with ignition off.

Sounds simple enough for even a POG trained "Enganeer" to master
    I'm waiting to hear from them on the 8V92 version. You series 60 guys may be in better shape if you have higher turbo pressures.

I just hope Brian doesn't fly a V tail.[/QUOTE]

Jon, May you boil me in diesel if I even get near one of those things. Wings on top for me! Besides they make me airsick. I know Jerry's a nice guy but REALLY.

Seems to me that propane injection is a good idea for cooling turbine inlet temps but using the cooler (more dense) air to make more power will put more load on the coolant system which is the achilles heel of the 8V. You can't have it both ways. (I don't think).

Sounds like I have company when debating the merits of real planes with real tail feathers compared to Vee tails in which one of the three components is missing, or the goofy planes with their tails on backwards. Stick with me Brian.

WIN42, Just so there is no misunderstanding, all of the installed exhaust wraps I have seen are of the exhaust downstream from the turbo. There is no means of air to air intercooling an 8V92 that I am aware of due to the turbo pumping directly into the blower, but in the airbox on the 8V92 is a coolant to air intercooler.

The Series 60 engines that I have seen have the wraps so that may be a Prevost installed item, and the turbocharged air on those have an air to air intercooler stacked along with the radiator.

win42 Guest

Jon I was refering to adding an air to air cooler per Mr. Banks. I'm aware of the hot water to air so called cooler under the blower. I never understood why they have tried to cool items such as the above and transmissions using 185 degree hot water. In liew of ambient air. I guess they figure Artic engineering works everywhere. Glad to hear the wraps on the 8V92's only cover the exhaust portion. I guess I won't need that picture after all.

Boy those guys are right, You don't let us get away with s--t. Keep up the good work, those whippersnappers need some looking after.

Jon; What's your take on Propane injection?

Just Plain Jeff Guest

A 2 cents worth here is the wisdom from the above post stating that when DD has a kit available for an 8V92, then it would be time to get one.

Pretty long conversation about the propane injection system, but basically it burns diesel much hotter and faster (creating more heat). If you note carefully on some of the internet sites, they never mention using such a modification on a two-stroke injection. That's likely because the 8V92 is a very finely balanced engine, much more so than the Series 60. My take on it is that playing with Mother Nature with propane on the 8V92 is likely to be very exciting at first, until the engine blows.

I've had 3 8V92 machines and think they are terrific engines! They are the culmination of 50 years of engineering and tweaking by DD. They have gotten a bad rap by RV salespeople trying to sell the newer and bigger $eries 60 (which I have), giving you more low end torque and a few MPG better.

But if anyone is simply interested in MPG, here are some other tips:

Here are a few additional tips that can help increase your fuel mileage:

Have your front end alignment checked and set regularly.

Have your brakes checked occasionally to make sure they aren't dragging.

Check your tire pressure. Low tire pressure requires more power from the engine when driving.

Use your air conditioner only when necessary.

In cold weather, keep warm-up time as short as possible.

Turn your engine off instead of idling it when you have to wait for long periods of time.

Avoid quick takeoffs and stops. Smooth, easy accelerating and decelerating is the most economical.

Keep your Rpm's as low as possible without lugging the engine and your driving speed steady.

Driving at speeds of approximately 55 mph or less is generally the most efficient.

Use the cruise control on long stretches when possible.

win42 Guest

Jeff: Thanks
    Very wise input for us arm chair engineers. Until the propane tests are run on a 8V92 2 stroke test engine, we better cool it.
    I do think the four stroke guys stand a chance with it. We blew a lot of engines in our Hot Rods using Nitro before they learned how to handle it.

I asked a veteran service manager at DD in Billings how the 8V92 compared with the newer series 60. He said they were both good relable engines. The difference = 2 8V92 to one transmission and 1 series 60 to four transmissions.
    He attributed it to greater HP/Torque of the 60. Which says be carefull using the torque on the transmission and hopefully Allison will build a heaver transmission in the future. He was talking in terms of trucks putting on more miles a month then our coaches see in five years.

"For every action in one direction there is an equal reaction in the opposite direction"
    Last edited by win42; 07-29-2006 at 04:52 PM.

Win,

I never gave any consideration to giving an 8V92 a propane boost, and like Jeff says I think there are some concerns.

What I can't embrace is the fact that a potentially explosive charge of air and propane will be in the airbox on the 8V92. I know an air and propane mixture needs to be in the right proportions to explode, or even ignite, but other than direct injection of propane into the cylinder at the precise moment to add boost I think anything else could have some exciting consequences.

Maybe someone on the forum wants to donate their bus and engine for testing purely in the interests of science.